Author Topic: unknown window mythfrontend  (Read 21270 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
unknown window mythfrontend
« on: September 23, 2005, 10:10:14 pm »
After performing the Pluto install upon reboot i add the "blackbird MPEG encoder firmware" as directed. I have a core/hybrid and from the orbiter, when I go to COmputing, I 'see' the 'mythtv setup' option but cannot keyboard over to it, so I am unable to complete mythtv setup. Also, when the orbiter boots it flashes in the corner momentarily "uknown window mythfronted"

Any suggestions appreciate,
---Todd

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 03:42:37 pm »
the unknown myth front-end window is harmless.  Do you have a mouse attached?  I think there was a bug in the 29 release with keyboard and infrared remote control on the computing screen, however I believe that the mouse work anyway.  Regardless I know this issue was fixed in 30 which hopefully will be released very soon.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:00:34 pm »
thanks for the reply, but the mouse sits right in the middle of the screen and is unresponsive. I figured that it just wasn't enabled because it was a multimedia device and supposed to be used with a remote. So I guess I have deeper problems  :cry:

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 07:55:36 am »
Unfortunately hardware support under Linux is a bit if'y, and even mice sometimes don't work.  Is it a USB or PS2 mouse?  We found the mouse needs to be plugged in during boot up, and PS2 mice always work, sometimes USB mice do not.  You can control everything on the m/d with a mouse and/or a keyboard.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 10:13:28 pm »
Thank you for you reply. I will download and reinstall with release 30 and see if that helps...thanks again

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
no joy
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 04:16:51 am »
Well i reinstalled using release 30 and still no mouse and still no way to select 'myth setup' from the 'computing' option. I see "installed programs" and "web bookmarks" but i cannot select anything other than 'house icon'. I have performed the firmware with blackbird code and confirmed the device setting; i just can't get to the mythsetup.

I thought I ran across something late one night about commands to 'reset and force run the mythsetup' but I can't seem to locate those again, so it may have been a dream...

I was really excited to get this going but my main start was to use it as a digital pvr...

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 09:11:56 am »
On Monday try clicking live support between 9am-5pm GMT, and ask for Radu.  If you enable remote assistance he can login and see what's going on with the mouse driver.

On the list of computing applications do you see mythsetup?  If so, try moving with the keyboard's arrow keys over to it (ie left/right), and then up/down to select teh items in the grid.  You should be able to select it that way too.  Of course if you have an i/r remote control, you can also use that.  Or if you have another webpad/pda/windows pc, you can the windows version of Orbiter, click 'computing' and choose mythsetup and it will start mythsetup on the media director.   Most people don't use the keyboard/mouse on the m/d anyway.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 03:36:53 am »
I will try that on Monday. I do see 'Mythsetup' on the 'Computing' menu, but the keyboard will not take me anywhere other than the 'house icon', the mouse is stuck in the middle of the screen and I do not have a remote control for this system...

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 05:04:42 am »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
On Monday try clicking live support between 9am-5pm GMT, and ask for Radu.  If you enable remote assistance he can login and see what's going on with the mouse driver.

On the list of computing applications do you see mythsetup?  If so, try moving with the keyboard's arrow keys over to it (ie left/right), and then up/down to select teh items in the grid.  You should be able to select it that way too.  Of course if you have an i/r remote control, you can also use that.  Or if you have another webpad/pda/windows pc, you can the windows version of Orbiter, click 'computing' and choose mythsetup and it will start mythsetup on the media director.   Most people don't use the keyboard/mouse on the m/d anyway.

The only way I could select it is with the mouse and this is what I get.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 11:09:05 am »
That screen you see there is the 'remote control' screen to allow 1 orbiter to be a remote keyboard/mouse for another.  Here's how it works....

If I'm using an orbiter, like a webpad, and I choose a computing application, that orbiter (the webpad/pda, etc.) turns into a remote keyboard/mouse for whatever media director I'm running the application on.  When you type on that keyboard, those keystrokes get fed to the computing application.  When you touch around in that white box, that moves the mouse around on that computing application.

If instead of using a remote orbiter, I go directly to the media director itself, and choose a computing application, you should not see that screen--rather you see the computing application itself.  Use the keyboard/mouse like normal.

The only time you will ever see that screen on a media director is if, on the main menu, you change the room.  Let's say the media director you are using is in the living room.  And on the main menu you choose another room, dining room.  Now when you choose a computing application using the media director in the living room, because it is controlling the dining room, the computing application gets launched in the dining room and the media director in the living room shows that screen because it is now a remote control for the dining room.  You are now remotely controlling the dining room from the living room.  Normally people don't do that.

If you're getting this screen on a media director, one possibility is that you put 2 media directors in the same room.  This is a no-no.  The reason is that we designed media to be 'exclusive' to a room to make it simpler for the user.  For example, with a traditional remote control if I start listening to a cd and then decide I want to watch tv, I have to remember to first turn the cd player off, and maybe create some macros.  Pluto uses a different approach which has no macros.  It assumes you only have 1 media playing at a time in a room, so it automatically knows to stop other media devices.  There is a way around this by using the 'manually configure entertainment areas' option inside rooms.  But, we don't recommend this since it makes it more complicated to setup and 99% of the time people only have 1 media playing in a room at a time.  So when you leave Pluto with the default settings, the architecture is designed so that in each room you only have 1 media director, and all media is exclusive within this room.

If you follow this, the behavior you see should be intuitive.  In other words, if I have a touch-screen pda, I walk into the living room, tell the pda I'm in the living room with the room button, and then hit 'computing' and choose a web site, the TV in that room will come on automatically, the web site appears on the TV, and the pda becomes a remote keyboard/mouse to control that TV, or I can use the keyboard/mouse connected to the media director.  On the pda you can then chose another room, start an email browser, and the pda becomes a remote control for that email browser.  When you change back to the first room it goes back to being a remote control for the web browser.  And in the case of the mobile phone it's automatic since the phone detects its location automatically.  You walk into the living room and the phone is a remote control for whatever you're doing in the room; if you're watching TV, the up/down/left/right rocker on the phone changes channels, if you're listening to a CD, it changes tracks, and if you're browsing a web page, it moves the mouse.  Move into another room and it automatically switches to controlling whatever it is you're doing in that room.

I know the logic of it sounds complex, but normally nobody thinks about it since the end behavior is what people would intuitively expect.  Something is wrong with your configuration if you're getting weird behavior like you describe.  And the only 2 odd things I've seen people do that causes unexpected behavior is 1) put 2 media directors in the same room--then Pluto cannot reliably figure out which one you want to control or 2) on the media director itself change the room by clicking the 'room' button on the on-screen display's main menu, which causes that media director to become a remote control for the other room--rather than controlling it's own room.