Author Topic: Will ATI/AMD be better supported? amd or nvidia for me?  (Read 4018 times)

blacklotus

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Will ATI/AMD be better supported? amd or nvidia for me?
« on: January 08, 2008, 05:42:54 pm »
i know now that nvidia are the recommended vid cards for use with linuxmce and linux in general, but now since the last 2 months AMD has released better linux drivers as well as "opened up" an open source version of their drivers. it's still a little early but it looks like the oss driver is already doing pretty well. does this mean we'll see more support and better performance with AMD/ATI and linuxmce?

i'm asking because right now the hd38XX series, while not smashing any performance records (i think it does hold its own, however) runs cooler and they all have full hdmi support. they just seem like a natural fit for htpc's. it would be REALLY nice to get full h.264 acceleration through the cards as well.

i also happen to be in the market for a new card for an htpc that would dual boot windows for when i want some big screen gaming (mostly racing games/simulators).

so all things considered (i know the future can be a little murky) should i go with an nVidia 8800GT or an AMD HD3870?

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Re: Will ATI/AMD be better supported? amd or nvidia for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 06:33:57 pm »
I'd be safe, get an nVidia..
I'm watching the progress on ATI's drivers too... it's still too early...

Regards,

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

madhoosier357

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 03:11:26 am »
Not sure if the Nvidia cards do this, ATI cards can pass audio over HDMI which would make Home Theater integration installation easier, especially if the components are located remotely in the house.  With more time I hope the ATI drivers will get better, still holding onto my 6600GT for testing, which works very well.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:37:02 pm »
Yes, the nVidia chipsets do this as well. It is more a question of if LMCE supports it. Apparently it can be made to work, but it is unreliable.

Totallymaxed is checking this out for us, as they have had this working in the past.

Rgds