Author Topic: Wont boot after DVD install  (Read 5133 times)

slice16

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Wont boot after DVD install
« on: November 24, 2007, 04:24:55 pm »
hi all,

i am having problems installing of the dvd (thanks Paul, it arrived the other day).

when it is booting up, it hangs for around 5 minutes on the kubuntu splash screen, and thn frops into Busy Box v1.1.3 and gives the error : "/bin/sh cant access tty job control turned off" i am then given the prompt (initramfs).

im not sure where to go from here, this is the third install and it happens each time. is it a drivers/hardware issue?

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wont boot after DVD install
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 04:30:44 pm »
What hardware are you using?

Have you tried more than one dvd? Maybe try downloading another ISO and burning it again. Burn it slowly so theres less chance for errors.

It also could be some mild incompatability between the DVD drive you used to burn the disk and the one you used to Install.

Good place to start anyway, let us know how it goes.

slice16

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 04:46:19 pm »
Hi radmofo, thanks for the quick reply.

my hardware is as follows:

P4 2.8GHZ
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GCard (not sure on teh one)
running on a simple 120GB IDE HDD

I bought the DVD from the LMCE site, as the only download version I found was on the Fiire site and estimated 52 hours to download hehe

I did find this article : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=292533

It talks about editing grub to point to the correct kernel or hdd. I tried this, to no avail.

I did turn off the splash screen to see if there were any errors, there was alot of rubbish on the screen (looked like HEX code). Any ideas what it might be?

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 04:58:31 pm »
OK - based on what you have. I would try a diffrent DVD drive to do the install. I have had cheap (flaky) drives fail during an OS install but work for everything else. Thats my only guess for now.

Kevin

Diskord

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 09:22:17 pm »
OK - based on what you have. I would try a diffrent DVD drive to do the install. I have had cheap (flaky) drives fail during an OS install but work for everything else. Thats my only guess for now.

Kevin

I encountered the same issue during installation, kubuntu splash screen with the progress bar. Never made it to install drive selection point. As per your suggestion I tried a different DVD drive, which worked perfectly...or at least is working fine thus far.

Burned on an (older) NEC DVD burner. Failed installation on a newer Sony DVD-Rom. Installing fine on a Hitachi DVD-Rom/CD RW

Thanks

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 04:38:23 am »
No problem I am glad it worked for you!

slice16

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 11:15:11 am »
Thanks for the replies. I didn't have any spare DVD drives, so I decided to install the system using the Two CDs. I will try the DVD install on another system once I setup MCE properally (still running it as a test system).

kalle

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 09:45:28 pm »
I think i have a soution for this problem.

I had the problem today and tried a lot of things to correct it.

I burned the DVD on a Benq DVD burner and installed with Plextor DVD drive first. Then i tried a Plextor DVD burner i had in spare. Then i took my Benq burner and the problem was still there. Then i burned the DVD on the Plextor DVD burner and tried to install it again from this drive.

I tried all this cause of what i read on the forums. Nothing worked.

Then i read that someone had the problem with a USB drive inserted. He unplugged it, tried again, and it worked. Then it got me thinking....

My solution:

I went into bios, told it that i had no 1,44 drive installed (which i didn't anyway), and then it worked!!!

Hope this can help some of you  ;D

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 01:35:29 am »
I can atest to something along the same lines.  I've seen on multiple occasions the core refuse to boot if I have a usb mouse or keyboard plugged in.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 01:41:17 am »
Strange, I have my keyboard permanently attached and my mouse occasionally when rebooting and have never seen this. Sounds like something screwy with the BIOS. Can you disable boot from USB in your BIOS? Perhaps it is getting confused?