Author Topic: ATI Radeon 9600 TV-Out  (Read 3110 times)

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
ATI Radeon 9600 TV-Out
« on: November 20, 2007, 04:31:05 pm »
Hi,

I've got a Radeon 9600 card in my computer. I tried first to use S-Video (I don't really want to use this but it seemed to be the most easy choice).

I chose S-Video PAL-B in the AV-Wizard (also tried PAL-G). TV is just "noisy" (wrong refresh rate/resolution), tried a lot of different resolutions without luck. So it doesn't seem that any of the pre-defined resolutions work with my card. (Grub and the kubuntu load logo is the only thing that I get on my TV, it gets "noisy" as soon as X loads).

I had no luck at all...

Next plan, which I prefer, was to use my RGB->SCART cable that I've been using in my old installation with pure MythTV. That one produces video quality far better than S-Video.

I just copied my old xorg.conf into /etc/X11 on my LinuxMCE installation chmod'ed the file to r--r--r and rebooted the machine. LinuxMCE does sadly enough overwrite that file even though I've made it write protected. Is there any way to protect this file so I can use my custom setting that I know work.

I can't produce ANY output at all on my TV right now so the setup is pretty much useless; only sitting with a 17" monitor next to my big fat TV...

Would be happy for any help!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: ATI Radeon 9600 TV-Out
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 04:33:24 pm »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:45:05 pm »
Thanks a million! I got my RGB->SCART cable working now =) =) =)

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 10:53:44 pm »
Hmm... or not working...

Graphics shows up just perfectly but none of the mouse interaction in the orbirtor works. The orbitor doesn't respond to any mouse clicks...

I first thought that it might have been offset in some way since I run an odd resolution 1024x576 on the RGB-SCART cable. So I started clicking all over the screen, also where there were no visible buttons. But I get no response from anything anywere... :-( I can see all the buttons and the mouse pointer as well, but I can't "press" any of the buttons...

Mouse response works as soon as I reset the resolution to 1024x768 and have my 17" monitor connected...

I find this very strange... Any ideas?

jca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 11:19:03 pm »
Try the modules section. I think when I was trying to get the intel driver working the same thing happened to me and I needed to make sure my custom xorg.conf had all the modules in it.

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 11:39:07 pm »
Wow, that was it - I just added all modules that I didn't have and baboom - IT WORKS =)