Author Topic: Media Directors and distributed apps  (Read 3605 times)

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Media Directors and distributed apps
« on: November 16, 2007, 09:15:47 pm »
I was wondering if it were possible for the media directors to run other tasks like setiathome and foldingathome while idle.

I currently have mythtv setup essentially like a core in a closet running as the master backend with a pvr-350 and a hdhomerun, 2 asus pundits running as mythfrontends/slave backend, as well as a desktop running at a slave backend/frontend.  Will I have to sacrifice their ability to run these distributed as if I have them running as netbooted media directors?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Media Directors and distributed apps
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 09:28:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure that is possible, just don't ask me how as I've never used those.  And I can't guarantee you it will be easy but on the other hand LMCE is part Kubuntu so it might be as simple as a few "apt-get"s.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 04:48:05 pm »
It can't hurt to try. At worst, the MDs won't have spare CPU long enough for S@H to start up, check in to the Internet, do some work, report results over the Net, and do another cycle. Which the S@H app might be smart enough to realize, and just never activate from background. I doubt S@H would conflict with the MD processes CPU time enough to noticably affect the MD operations.

Why don't you try it and find out? Then let us know. If it works, then maybe there's a whole extra component that can exploit the LMCE followme features: a pool of distributed CPU cycles available when LMCE knows you're not using a machine, even though it's busy doing something no one can actually consume. Which extra capacity could be used for housekeeping, like rebuilding DB indices, or cleaning up video, or just a huge LMCE team competing in S@H!

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 06:34:34 pm »
I'll update you in a few weeks.  I won't be able to devote all the time I need until the Christmas to New Years stretch.  I have alot of data to backup and research how I will re-intergrate home automation (with misterhouse and a dce router connection to LMCE),web, sql, blog, email, firewall, connection monitoring that I've spent so many years perfecting on Fedora.

I found this link below that might help me get to where I want to go. I don't quite yet know the know the structure for the local files for the ip/mac address for each would be stored other than
/usr/pluto/diskless/[ip address]

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/howto/FAH_Diskless_Farm_4.html

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 10:39:35 pm »
I have alot of data to backup and research how I will re-intergrate home automation (with misterhouse and a dce router connection to LMCE),web, sql, blog, email, firewall, connection monitoring that I've spent so many years perfecting on Fedora.
I've got my own system I built from Postgres on Debian. I'm looking at porting LMCE from MySQL to Postgres, or perhaps just a DB-link sync. Interested? Also, I was thinking of porting my own DB to relate to MusicBrainz, which I think would still be a good upgrade for LMCE - but requires Postgres. What do you think? FWIW, I think that if you're interested, I should start a new thread that isn't offtopic as this one now is.

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 07:33:55 am »
Maybe a new title called Linuxmce Migration.. or better yet if the admins can great a new Forum for Migration.  I'm sure this will be a more and more common theme if not already