Author Topic: Linux MCE install on MythTV master backend system?  (Read 5542 times)

scorpuk

• View Profile
Linux MCE install on MythTV master backend system?
« on: November 17, 2007, 09:17:01 pm »
I have a MythTV master backend server up and running and have tried to install the Linux MCE for my front end and it was a mitigated disaster.

Is Linux MCE compatible with a MythTV backend or was I just completely mistaken?

Going by my own experiences this cannot be served from a current MythTV master backend system and would need a clean install on the server (not an option to reformat 2.3TB of HDD space and loose 1TB of recorded media).

In the end when I tried to setup mythfrontend with my servers Ip address and mysql password it repeatedly kept on interupting my inputs with the pretty damn obvious error that there is no backend running.

I am now temporarily running with MythUbuntu just to get a frontend up and running in the short term and then later on tonight doing a reinstall of Ubuntu and MythTV frontend.

Unfortunately I ONLY have 1.5 days to play around with my system as I work away from home so this is why I give up so easily. Linux MCE is one hell of a system to install and took best part of 5 hours to complete.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Linux MCE install on MythTV master backend system?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 10:01:20 pm »
Well I don't really like telling you this but: yes you are completely mistaken.  LMCE is not just a MythTV frontend.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

scorpuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:34:44 pm »
OK, but is there any way to integrate it into an already installed mythtv master backend system?

To watch Live TV
To watch Recorded TV
To stream videos (DVD's)
To stream music

Probably the main reason I am interested in LinuxMCE is the proposed 710 release with HDDVD and Bluray support  :)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 05:26:26 pm »
Honestly, dude...

you'd just be better scrapping the backend and replacing it with LinuxMCE, migrating over the media. LinuxMCE contains a fully integrated MythTV installation, and much more flexible media distribution options (not even counting if you add the rest of the smart home functionality.)

-Thom

jca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 04:15:49 pm »
I'm in a similar position. I've been running mythtv since version .6 and have 3TB of movies etc. What I'm doing is dropping in a new 250GB SATA HD and installing linuxmce on it. While I'm working on all the issues with mce, I can easily pull the HD and reboot back to myth. You can mount up your media directories and mce can see them and catalog them (you'll keep your videos and music). I'm still working (fighting) with some issues on the integration to get it running the way I want so back to myth for another week...

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 11:42:15 pm »
There should be no reason why you cannot use an existing MythTV backend server.
Assuming the version is compatible with the frontend that linuxMCE is using.

You might want to disable the backend on the CORE/hybrid but potentially you could even set that up as a slave backend?

Change your frontends to use the different address of the server, make sure your user/pw is correct and this should work fine.

As suggested though, it may be an easier path to let your CORE take over and migrate your media/databases.

Regards
Darren

dean_za

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:51:22 pm »
I dont believe the mythtv part of linuxmce works , you may be better off with your current setup

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 08:06:28 pm »
Wow, really? I guess I must be hallucinating when I watch Live TV, then.

:-\

-Thom

nascarfan1956

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 08:22:29 pm »
Wow, really? I guess I must be hallucinating when I watch Live TV, then.

:-\

-Thom

What's in that Kool-Aid???

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 10:12:22 pm »
lots of sugar. I think i vibrate so much the still pixels start to move on their own.

-Thom