Author Topic: Adding network content  (Read 3997 times)

rocco

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Adding network content
« on: November 16, 2007, 03:15:50 pm »
I have two questions for the group.
1.   I would like to add xvid content to the Linux MCE database that is stored on a 750gig usb drive on a Windows XP machine.  The XP machine does not go thru the Linux MCE box on the Eth1 card but is connected thru my D-Link routed.  I can see the drive from the Kubuntu file manager.  If I go to the admin page of Linux MCE, Media files, Video (doing this from memory not at home looking at the MCE) I see the directory that media files are in on the MCE box, and there is an add directory that just adds a directory to the local HDD.  Can I point to a remote HDD or file?
2.   I also have MP3 files in directories that are Billboard top 100 songs from 1949 to 2005 and some times I just like to pick a year.  The Linux MCE structure as I understand wants Artist, Album format and many of my files are in the structure.  Others are 1 or 2 hit wonders and have no Album as with many of my old 45 records (I know I am giving my age away here).  Do I have to edit the attribute tags associated with each of the MP3 files, I have some 10,000 files and would hate to do this on each of the files.

Rocco

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Adding network content
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 07:05:01 pm »
not sure how to answer the first question yet...

but in response to your second question...yes.... in order to fully use the system, you should tag the files.. You should try to use the auto cover-art feature from the web admin to get as many files as it can detect..and then tag the rest.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 09:40:05 pm »
Rocco

It may not be as torturous as it sounds. If you are currently able to choose a year, but the tags aren't filled in then presumably you can group them another way? Have you a folder for each year? Or maybe it is encoded in the filename?

Either way - you can group years together using Explorer on your Windows XP machine. eg navigate to a year folder, or do a search on the year in the file name. You can add the "Year" tag column to the Explorer window so that you can check it works afterward - right click the column headings and choose it.

Now select all files which you want to have that year - say 300 files? Then right-click and choose properties. Then choose the Summary tab. In there you will see the Year field. Fill that in with the correct year and hit OK.

rocco

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 12:53:40 am »
I will give it a try and let you know.

Also I am able to see my 750gig usb bookdrive on the XP computer using smb and it is shared, but when I click on it I get
"Error - Konqueror
The file or folder smb://cadmachine/Movies BookDrive does not exist."
any ideas?

Rocco

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 01:04:30 am »
perhaps permissions on the folder (or the share)? there is logging that should give you more detail.  btw, I meant edit the tags on your XP machine, not through Konqueror on LMCE... in case that is what you were trying to do...

rocco

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 11:38:40 pm »
No I understood the edit using XP

Thanks

I will try it after I get LinuxMCE working again it CRASHED big time.  Now reloading 2nd tiime from scratch

Rocco

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 12:02:56 am »
crashed? what happened?

-Thom

rocco

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile