Author Topic: Will LMCE do this? Whats it worth for a Guru to give an assist?  (Read 3917 times)

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Will LMCE do this? Whats it worth for a Guru to give an assist?
« on: November 16, 2007, 02:42:34 pm »
Hey all - This is my ultimate goal for set up of LMCE. Can it be done or am I waisting my time? Im determined to do this, with nearly no limit. Anyone interested in conquering this?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Will LMCE do this? Whats it worth for a Guru to give an assist?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 04:08:51 pm »
Looks to me like the way the system was intended.

You'll probably won't need 3 bluetooth dongles though.  the modern ones have so much range that just one is very likely to cover your whole house.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:27:18 pm »
I thought I would need 3 bluetooth dongles in order for the "follow me" function to work. Also the MD's will be pretty far apart in the house.

Has anyone setup this sort of configuration? I will be needing lots of assists.

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 10:37:36 pm »
Your setup looks correct.  Three remotes should be fine.  I would suggest the fiire remotes.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 04:45:37 am »
I thought I would need 3 bluetooth dongles in order for the "follow me" function to work. Also the MD's will be pretty far apart in the house.

Has anyone setup this sort of configuration? I will be needing lots of assists.

The problem with the currently available bluetooth dongles is that they have way to much power so they won't lose connection when you walk out of the room.  Alternatively, mobile orbiters can switch rooms manually, and Fiire has developped a very special remote for LinuxMCE where they find the closest (Fiire-) dongle available by increasing the transmission power step by step.

For it to work automaticly with bluetooth, you'd need Class 3 (very short-range/low-power) dongles.  Unfortunately everything available on the market nowadays is at least Class 2 which typically has a range of at the very least 10m/30ft (usually much more).
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous