Author Topic: Before I purchase hardware, can anyone verify?  (Read 3058 times)

blakeivey

• View Profile
Before I purchase hardware, can anyone verify?
« on: December 22, 2007, 07:29:39 pm »
I am eagerly awaiting when I can get LinuxMCE up and running, but before I buy all of this hardware I was wondering if someone could verify if it all should work first. I am at a medium level of linux usage, but this type of setup is just giving me a headache. I am trying to picture how everything is going to be wired and my mind just spins.

To start things off, I want to have a hybrid which will only be connected to my living room 42in LCD screen. Maybe later down the road will I expand the system to other rooms/places.

The hardware I have picked out so far:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 MCE Dual TV Recorder Tuner Card w/MCE Remote 253 PCI Interface *I also may add a PVR-150 so I can record 2 channels and watch 1 live.*

As for the motherboard, soundcard, videocard, and whatever else I am missing, I have no clue really. Could anyone shoot me some recommendations that are a decent price. I don't need anything top of the line or anything. I just want a smooth working system.

Thanks in advance

dragon_788

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Before I purchase hardware, can anyone verify?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 08:03:22 pm »
I believe if you check the wiki there is a recommended/confirmed working hardware page. I believe the Asus motherboard listed there (one of the two) with the Nvidia 6150 onboard is the exact board used in the Fiire.com FiireEngine Core used in the demo video, it has onboard sound as well. The benefits of using this board are a) compatibility and b) UI2 with alpha. I'd double check whether your processor is compatible with the above board, but other than that everything looks good.

blakeivey

• View Profile
Re: Before I purchase hardware, can anyone verify?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 09:56:50 pm »
Alright, here is what I came up with after reading your post:

Athenatech A3708BS.450 Black SECC Steel ATX Desktop/ Tower Convertible Computer Case 450W Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
ASUS M2NPV-VM AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE

and lastly... Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 MCE Dual TV Recorder Tuner Card w/MCE Remote 253 PCI Interface - Retail

The only thing I am worrying about is if the TV tuner will fit in the case I am planning on buying. I looked around trying to find out the dimensions of the tuner card were but was unsuccessful. Anyone have an opinion if it should fit or not? To the best of my knowledge, everything should be compatible with each other...so i hope at least :-)

Thanks.