Author Topic: Complete rewrite of template for Marantz Audio receivers  (Read 12952 times)

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Complete rewrite of template for Marantz Audio receivers
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 06:09:30 am »
Yup.  That should work too.  But then I wouldn't get to play with new hardware.  ;)

legolas

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 12:25:28 pm »
But I have a problem :

- when I try to add MEdia scnearios for it, it's painted in red and beside text appears :
Devices in red do not have any media types set on the A/V Properties page or they are not assigned to this entertain area.
and I cannot add any media scenario for that device. It has assigned room and EA, so I really have no clue what is wrong...
Your device template doesn't have any media type, that's why is displayed in red.
You can check this by running in a mysql console this:
Code: [Select]
select PK_DeviceTemplate_MediaType,FK_MediaType from DeviceTemplate_MediaType WHERE FK_DeviceTemplate=[device template ID];
Web admin doesn't allow changing that for a device template after it is created, so you have to do it in a mysql console:
select PK_MediaType,Description from MediaType;This will display all media types available.

Then run this (you can do it multiple times, for different media types):
insert into DeviceTemplate_MediaType (FK_DeviceTemplate,FK_MediaType) values ([device template PK],[media type PK]);
Then you should be able to use your device in media scenarios.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 04:04:14 pm »
But I have a problem :

- when I try to add MEdia scnearios for it, it's painted in red and beside text appears :
Devices in red do not have any media types set on the A/V Properties page or they are not assigned to this entertain area.
and I cannot add any media scenario for that device. It has assigned room and EA, so I really have no clue what is wrong...
Your device template doesn't have any media type, that's why is displayed in red.
You can check this by running in a mysql console this:
select PK_DeviceTemplate_MediaType,FK_MediaType from DeviceTemplate_MediaType WHERE FK_DeviceTemplate=[device template ID];
Web admin doesn't allow changing that for a device template after it is created, so you have to do it in a mysql console:
select PK_MediaType,Description from MediaType;This will display all media types available.

Then run this (you can do it multiple times, for different media types):
insert into DeviceTemplate_MediaType (FK_DeviceTemplate,FK_MediaType) values ([device template PK],[media type PK]);
Then you should be able to use your device in media scenarios.

Thanks for help, will try that when I get home... But I still wonder what should I do to create proper template for such device - or is manual sql correction currently needed in any case ?

Which MediaType is proper to be used in this case of Audio Receiver, that also has two audio zones of output...

Thanks in advace,

regards,

Bulek.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:19:43 am by bulek »
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 12:55:35 pm »
Which MediaType is proper to be used in this case of Audio Receiver, that also has two audio zones of output...

# mysql pluto_main -e "select PK_MediaType,Description from MediaType;"
+--------------+---------------------+
| PK_MediaType | Description         |
|            1 | LinuxMCE LiveTV     |
|            2 | LinuxMCE CD         |
|            3 | LinuxMCE DVD        |
|            4 | LinuxMCE Audio File |
|            5 | LinuxMCE Video File |
|            6 | LinuxMCE Live Radio |
|            7 | LinuxMCE Pictures   |
|           11 | LiveTV              |
|           12 | DVD                 |
|           13 | OTARadio            |
|           14 | SatelliteRadio      |
|           15 | CableRadio          |
|           16 | VideoTape           |
|           17 | LaserDisc           |
|           18 | Game                |
|           19 | CD                  |
|           20 | Burning             |
|           21 | Playlist            |
|           22 | Edit Playlist       |
|           23 | Blank Media         |
|           24 | Doc Viewer          |
|           25 | Cassette            |
|           26 | Picture             |

I think 4 would be the one you're looking for, maybe 13,14,15 and even 25 as well.  But I'm not certain.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 06:11:38 pm »
bulek,

I have been working on getting my LG LCD TV plug and play and I have been building a template. First off Thank you for your wiki page, as it did help getting things started.  I have also ran into this issue of no media typed defined.  And from what I can tell, this is set in the Audio/Visual Properties on the Main Device Template and it can actually be changed after the creation of a template without manual SQL command. 

from the edit Device Template page click the edit Audio/Visual Properties button, which will bring up a new window where you can make changes to ruby/ir codes, but at the top you can also make changes to the inputs for the template.  click change/explain.  This will bring up a long list of possible inputs, which I am sure you are familiar with. 

Now here you can tell the template which input is associated with which media type or associate the input with an external device, which I would assume would then assign the media type.  The notes on the bottom of the page state:
REMEMBER: If the device has a built-in source of media on that input, be sure you choose it from the 'source' list. For example, if you have a receiver, normally the 'am' and 'fm' inputs have a built in source (over the air radio), but the 'cd' input is for an external device. If you have a TV, normally the 'tuner' input is a built-in source (live tv) and video 1, 2, etc. are external. For VCR's there are normally only 2 inputs, tuner and VHS, and both have built-in sources (Live tv and videotape). You may have a combo unit that has lots of built-in sources, like a built-in radio, vcr, dvd. In that case be sure to indicate which inputs have built-in sources vs. external. You don't need to specify the connector type if you don't know it; it's only used when displaying a visual diagram of your equipment's connections.

Here is where I am a little confused, and I will likely start a new thread for this one, but I will ask here as it may also apply more globally.  As I build the new template, I assign the proper media type to the inputs with built in tuners, and I leave the selection as external device when I anticipate hooking up a device, but this does not seem to work, ie no media type is defined.  I had to define my input AV1 as LiveTV even though it is connected to my Motorola DCT2000 Box, which I also created a template for and assigned it the media type of CableRadio. 

Do you know if this is a bug or if I am just getting things confused, which is entirely possible.

Thanks,
Rob

I am working on documenting my experience of building the LG template and making the TV plug and play. I will put it on the wiki as soon as I confirm it actually works as expected.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 03:10:17 pm »
bulek,

Here is where I am a little confused, and I will likely start a new thread for this one, but I will ask here as it may also apply more globally.  As I build the new template, I assign the proper media type to the inputs with built in tuners, and I leave the selection as external device when I anticipate hooking up a device, but this does not seem to work, ie no media type is defined.  I had to define my input AV1 as LiveTV even though it is connected to my Motorola DCT2000 Box, which I also created a template for and assigned it the media type of CableRadio. 

Do you know if this is a bug or if I am just getting things confused, which is entirely possible.

Hi, good idea, thanks.

I've done same thing and run into same problems. I've selected FM and AM tuner as internal device and now I got two child tuner devices - which is right. But the parent device (audio receiver) is still painted red for adding media scenarios. I could easily add all media scenarios to those child devices, but logically, this is not the right way, although tehcnically it would work, cause commands will end at parent device anyway.

But I guess this is a problem, cause some basic media devices types are still missing. In my case Audio reciever functionality has no embedded media device at all - you can onlyl get those devices if you "connect" your inputs to some proper media device (Live TV or Radio tuner), but that is IMHO not the right way. Parent device (like Audio receiver or LCD TV) should be of proper media type per se, it's weird that you send all media scenarios to its child tuner device, which is not meant to do that... Either do we need more embedded media devices or we need some simplification and make device with rs232 interface media device by default or by its category....

Does anyone have any more insight into this ? Any other opinion ?

I think we should discuss this in more depth and come up with good and consistent solution. Maybe the best examples can be those two devices, we're working on...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.