Author Topic: Adding Audio Files to Public Folder  (Read 4918 times)

rocco

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Adding Audio Files to Public Folder
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:22:35 pm »
Well I thought every thing was going my way, I performed a test and copied (1) artist with (3) ablums to the music directory from my Windows XP machine.  The world was great and they played just fine (installed Lame as found in this forum).
How to get down to buisness I transfered 30+ directories in one feld swoop, but after adding MP3 files to the public folder music in the same artist, album format nothing showed up??? :'(

I tryed a shutdown reboot, regen, and any thing else I thought would help still nothing but the first artist directory that I added (HA)

Rocco

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Audio Files to Public Folder
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:26:30 pm »
LMCE doesn't update 'live', it may take some time.
Leave it until tomorrow and see.
If it doesn't work then come back.
It's designed this way to not overstress the LAN with updating scripts.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 11:03:19 pm »
Can the update be forced to happen immediately? Is there a config somewhere for the duration of the automatic interval? It would be good to be able to test a transfer without waiting an unknown amount of time, especially if there's an error that needs to be fixed and requires another wait.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 11:08:24 pm »
Look under files + media- media files sync and click resynchronize. You may need to do it in each directory. You may discover some bugs in the handling of id3 tags, its not perfect yet.

rocco

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 12:12:37 am »
Well it has been about 24 hours and no update.  I am in the process of a resynchronize now and it seems to be thinking and only time will tell.  When I viewed the "http://localhost/pluto-admin/index.php?section=mediaFilesSyncFrameset" the new files I added did not have the green check mark next to them.

Rocco

rocco

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 02:10:15 pm »
I fornd that adding a few directories at a time is working, just painfull as I have about 10,000 mp3 files to add.  When I tryed to add larg blocks of files the resyncronize would freeze up and would not work.  Will I have a problem as I add more and more?   ???

Rocco

needlern32724

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 12:41:26 am »
I don't have anywhere near the audio files being discussed here, but just in case what I did might work for others....

Approx. 30 albums or so on a network storage device. Copied them via a 'root' konqueror session to the 'public' files via 'drag n drop' from 'left' to 'right' split windows. Then went into mce manager and did the 'Advance > MediaFiles > Resynch'. Took no time at all.

I don't know how you're attempting to copy over the audio files, but I think doing them outside of mce is the only reasonable way. Then synch up.

I spent a total of approx. 8-9 mins. Listening to my music now via mce.

HTH,
Bill

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 01:51:03 pm »
At this time given the problems with the MCE database I agree.  The Audio database will corrupt and refuse to resync if invalid charaters are in the filenames of the CD's you rip. 

One example is the group 98 degrees.  The CD used the degree symbol in the filename and that trashed my database.  Now that I know what the problem is I can rip the disk in windows and insure that there are no invalid charaters in the filenames, then copy the files to the audio folder in linux MCE.

I have tried to remove all audio files and even the audio folder from the MCE box and then resync but it appears that a copy of the database is kept and linuxmce tries to use the old database file for the new audio folder and that is corrupted.  So I have to reinstall linuxmce to have a fresh uncorrupted database then copy the audio files to the audio folder.

It really bites as the ripping feature in Linuxmce is so easy to use I keep going back to using that and then bam a filename that corrupts the database.  I should learn.  ::)

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 01:55:37 pm »
Jeff, did you add this as a bugreport to Mantis?

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 01:17:05 pm »
Yes, I just did because I wanted to insure it is fixed in 7.10.  I looked through all the listings of fixes in 7.10 and this problem as well as several others I have posted here in the forum were not listed. 

My fault I guess.  I thought that someone was monitering the forum and would pickup on the report. 

I listed the audio database bug as severe and the amazon.com lookup error for DVDs as minor.  I noticed that the video display errors on fast moving screens was not listed and no sound for myth TV or rather Myth TV does not use the audio output that the video wizard has selected for Linuxmce was also not listed.  Myth in 7.04 uses the sound output that is selected for the KDE desktop.

I consider fixing the above 4 errors essential for MCE to be taken seriously.  Right now I would rather use a DVD player than MCE as the quality of the picture is better. 

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 01:23:20 pm »
I agree that this is a severe problem.
Adding files with 'non computer proof' symbols shouldn't be an issue.

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 02:47:38 pm »
Agreed but in thinking the problem over some of this is a Linux issue.  On several CD rips a "~" tilde was used for some of the "unsupported filename" characters and the folder name might be someting like /audio/various artists/greatest hits of the 60~s  ( 60's )

I think in that case LinuxMCE intercepted and properly handled the unsupported character and substituted the tilde.  There was no problem with this CD displaying but I think Resync didn't like it.