Author Topic: Audio only Xine player for lmce  (Read 9119 times)

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Audio only Xine player for lmce
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 07:44:34 am »
Yep, SlimServer already does that.

In fact any software that can open a streamed MP3 can be a software based audio device.
For example, I can opena stream on my Nokia 770 using the standard audio player and it will register as a slimserver audio device and can be controlled from the web interface. This requires no further install on the Nokia 770.

I was then trying to create the relevant devices and code so that these can then also be controlled using LMCE orbiters. The main aim for me was to have an old PC loaded up with sound cards which could be wired to different rooms in the house. Multi zone audio without the extra hardware of a Squeezebox.
I was getting close but put it on hold whilst I waited for 7.10 to come out. I am on leave soon so hopefully will get back to it.

It becomes a much simpler device to implement than the Audio only xine player as it can be as simple as calling an external player with a stream. The harder bit is assigning the device to a room and having the controls in that room.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 08:10:51 am »

In fact any software that can open a streamed MP3 can be a software based audio device.
For example, I can opena stream on my Nokia 770 using the standard audio player and it will register as a slimserver audio device and can be controlled from the web interface. This requires no further install on the Nokia 770.

I was then trying to create the relevant devices and code so that these can then also be controlled using LMCE orbiters. The main aim for me was to have an old PC loaded up with sound cards which could be wired to different rooms in the house. Multi zone audio without the extra hardware of a Squeezebox.
I was getting close but put it on hold whilst I waited for 7.10 to come out. I am on leave soon so hopefully will get back to it.

It becomes a much simpler device to implement than the Audio only xine player as it can be as simple as calling an external player with a stream. The harder bit is assigning the device to a room and having the controls in that room.

As we've been discussing in "Adding softsqueeeze as LMCE's player", I think that the same code that calls a streaming audio client (eg. curl | madplay) when triggered by BT detection scripts could also assign a new ethernet interface, a dhclient on it, get an IP# from DHCP (thereby starting a SlimServer stream), and altogether constitute a manageable device. Since it's starting the audio client, that client code should also be able to control it (and optionally direct audio data over a BT connection, my ultimate use case for this facility). That same code should also be startable from the Orbiter/Adminsite even if it's an MD/Hybrid audio card instead of BT to BT speakers.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 11:38:10 am »

As far as I tried the problem would go from working on "audio only" Xine to enhancing Slimserver support... Currently I do have one HW SB and softsqueeze on Windows and I must say that SB integration is crippled at the moment... see here :

I'll probably start working on Xine, cause it has some advantages (had a talk with one of developers) :
- currently it is a major media player in LMCE and will be maintained for quite some time
- it know how to sync with other Xines already (the only problem is bug with more audio songs in a row, but as I was told it works ok on video...)
- currently you can't sync SBs with Xine players, so if you want clean solution, you should choose between them...

I'll probably start working on Xine, cause I guess this would be easy way for now (could be wrong)... One of the developers will think about it and give us general directions.... next week..

Regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.