Author Topic: video card on core or md  (Read 2717 times)

danfi

• View Profile
video card on core or md
« on: November 13, 2007, 03:25:58 am »
Hi all,

My apologies for bringing up a Question that has been done to death, but this hardware thing is really confusing.  The more I read, the more confused I get.

Anyway, I haven't yet got lmce up and running but would like to get a setup going which I can eventually sell as a complete system, if it's viable with lmce. Originally I could not get lmce dvd installed with the sis chipset onboard but just last week my motherboard died, so now new opportunity on new hardware.

I had a nvidia fx 5200 agp.  No good with new motherboard as it uses pci-e (sli ready).  I have ordered a 7600 gs card 256mb ddr2, is this good or overkill?

My main question is this.  If i build a separate core and md do I need the decent graphics card in the core or the md (I know that some mini-itx systems have been used ) or both?

thanks for your help.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: video card on core or md
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:44:20 am »
1) The card is overkill. You only need 128 MB of video memory for HD.
2) You need the graphics where ever you attach a display. No display on the core means its video doen't need to be too powerful.
3) The best choice for value are the MB's with onboard nvidia graphics using the 6150 chipset.

danfi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 11:56:03 pm »
Thanks,

For now i will concentrate on getting a hybrid system going. but from what you have said I take it that a MB with nvidia 7series onboard would do well?

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 10:31:00 pm »
The Nvidia 7050 driver is still flakey. I would stick with a 6150 based system for now. HDMI isn't bringing any magic that a DVI connection lacks, only convenience in the combo AV connection. If you can get the MSI system mentioned elsewhere with a 6150 and HDMI that would be ideal. The 7050 doesn't offer any performance benefits yet.