Author Topic: Home automation  (Read 9641 times)

richardj

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Home automation
« on: November 12, 2007, 01:41:16 pm »
Can somebody explain what software is included with mce for home automation ?  I understand scenes/scenarios exist that you can control with an orbiter or md but how would you create events for an X10 system ? ie.  timed events, events that get triggered by x10 commands, etc ?

rocco

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Home automation
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:39:16 pm »
I also am interested in the X10 control, I connected a CM11a to my system and tryed to find where and how to control drices add House code and Device type and code? ???

Rocco

richardj

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 04:14:21 pm »
found the answer myself ... sorry for being lazy :)

check out events ... etc
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LinuxMCE_Admin_Website#Devices

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 05:41:16 pm »
Once a set of devices has been installed into the system, you can define two main uses:

* Scenarios - These are buttons which appear on your orbiters, to trigger commands. These are scoped by room. For example, I may have under lighting:

- On - Turn all lights on in the room to a comfortable level
- Off - Turn off all the lights.
- Lounge - Turn all the celing lights to 20%, turn the floor lamps to 30%
- Reading - Turn off all ceiling lights, turn the lights farthest from my reading chair to 20%, turn my reading lamp to 50% and the rest off

etc.

These buttons appear next to the Floorplan button, and provide a quick way to send a series of commands to any of the devices.

But how do you know which devices are which?

When, for example, a new device is known to the system, i.e. for lighting, the Setup Wizard will start and go through the process of verifying how many lights you have in the system, what they are (and naming them), and what rooms they are in...

Once this is done, each light is given a device # in the core.

You can then in the Web Admin site use the Scenario wizards (such as lighting), to create new scenarios, and to add light levels to each light for a scenario (and if you switch to Advanced Wizard, any other commands you wish to send to other devices...)

* Events - Events are simply things which happen during the course of time within the system, you can either respond to events such as (Sunrise, Sunset, someone is at the door, etc.), or you can have timed events (this should happen every morning at 7am), etc... They work the same way as scenarios, except they have a series of event conditions attached to them. There are LOTS of events, and some of them are only available in the advanced menu, and should you use more advanced event scenarios, a lot of care should be taken to make sure the events work properly.

-Thom

richardj

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 11:20:39 am »
thanks for the help, got my lights responding to x11 commands ... nice and easy

What event would I need to create to respond to X10 commands ... ie. if I sent a X10 command A1 from a remote control my pc will receive this signal and issue further X10 commands ... ?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 01:56:41 pm »
unfortunately, X-10 by nature is not bi-directional, so this isn't possible. Go to another technology... Insteon is becoming a better option every day.

-Thom

richardj

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 03:24:30 pm »
I dont think I explained properly CM11A can receive X10 signals ... so I want an event on my linux mce core to be triggered by a received X10 signal ...  Ive done this in homeseer ...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 03:28:34 pm »
There are problems with receiving X10 signals in LMCE, see the CM11 wiki page for some info.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

richardj

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 08:38:04 pm »
k, well if I want to test receiving X10 commands with and without the work around, what type of event do I create ?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 11:51:58 pm »
Sorry, but I have no idea about that.  I myself don't have any X10 input devices like sensors or remotes.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 08:39:09 pm »

* Events - Events are simply things which happen during the course of time within the system, you can either respond to events such as (Sunrise, Sunset, someone is at the door, etc.), or you can have timed events (this should happen every morning at 7am), etc... They work the same way as scenarios, except they have a series of event conditions attached to them. There are LOTS of events, and some of them are only available in the advanced menu, and should you use more advanced event scenarios, a lot of care should be taken to make sure the events work properly.

I'm struggling to find on the wiki any mention of what is allowed in the "Time of day" box, aside from Sunrise and Sunset. Can you use Night, Day etc?

Also if you use the <> operator do you give then separate items with a comma? e.g. <> Sunrise, Sunset

Many thanks,

Chris.

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 08:51:01 pm »
Found this:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=136.0

Anyone know if these changes were made?

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 10:17:43 pm »
My insteon driver <will be> able to send and receive X10.  if you are currently using a CM11A, maybe upgrade to a PLM...

HTH

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 11:25:01 pm »
ddamron: where are you buying your Insteon schwag? we need to get this written down on the wiki!

-Thom

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 12:05:00 am »
I just ordered it all from smarthome.com.

They have a few starter kits that help out...

PLM's there are $59.00, PLC's are $69.00 (ish)

HTH

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.