Author Topic: New Core/Hybrid Installation Issues  (Read 4037 times)

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
New Core/Hybrid Installation Issues
« on: November 09, 2007, 06:02:02 pm »
I just build a new core/hybrid consisting of an Asus mobo with a Sempron 3000 cpu, Nvidia GeForce 6150 and 1GB RAM.... 3D acceleration works great on this machine and I was using it running Ubuntu 7.04 and XBMC for linux..  During the setup of lmce I chose the UI2 with alpha blending and now that it's up and running, I basically have no control over the interface when it's up..  it just sits there..  mouse doesn't work and arrow keys on the keyboard doesn't work...  should I drop back down to UI2 with medium settings or do I have another problem?  I basically have to just turn the machine off once lmce is up because I can't do anything..  it's unresponsive...  setup seemed to go without a hitch...  dvi out... 720p resolution...  dolby digital through optical out...  everything worked well with setup and then after the wizard was finished and all the screens were rendered, the UI came up and that's it..  I can't do anything..

Greg

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Core/Hybrid Installation Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:52:15 pm »
Press F6, F7, or F8.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 09:03:43 pm »
That is very unusual I think, have you tried unplugging and plugging the keyboard/mouse back in? And are these PS/2 or USB? (not that I think that would matter much)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 09:44:48 pm »
I haven't tried the function keys, in a nutshell, what do they do?  I haven't tried unplugging the keyboard/mouse..  they are both usb...  I have switched it off by holding down the power button and then back on, but again, once the UI comes up, I can't do anything...  I really want this to work..  right now I will only be using it for a whole house media center and won't be using the other functions that lmce provides..  I have about 500 movies on my nas server and want to be able to watch them throughout my house....

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:53:32 pm »
also, I have a concern..  I've noticed that on my desktop Ubuntu machine, Xine has problems and will not play some of my movie files.. mplayer will play ALL of my movies without any problems, as will VLC..  should I worry about Xine's ability to play some of my movies in lmce??  I have avi's encoded with various xvid/divx codecs as well as mp4's encoded normally and in H.264..  I also have several mkv's....  I'd hate to get all of this setup and then not be able to play some of my movies...

Greg

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 10:15:44 pm »
UI2 works completely differently from UI.  In UI, the mouse cursor will appear if you move the mouse, and the UI will appear if you press a mouse button or a keyboard key.

In UI2, pressing F6, F7, or F8 will "activate" the UI so you can interact with it.  I haven't tried it with a remote, but there must be a way to activate the UI using a remote if you have one.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 04:04:33 pm »
Well, something happened and I can't explain it...  I re-ran the a/v wizard and chose UI 1 just so I could get lmce up and running... a/v wizard ran fine, screen rendering process started...  then nothing...  I though maybe something happened and it didn't keep the dvi-out setting...  shut the machine down with the power button, held down shift during boot, re-ran a/v wizard..  pressed 1 on the keyboard to bring up dvi-out, picked my resolution, 720p 16:9, which is what I was using before, then all of a sudden when the screen refreshed to ask if I wanted to keep the current resolution, screen was completely messed up...  looked like you zoomed in on the screen 100x..  backed up and picked resolution again... same thing...  tried other resolutions.. nothing..  always messed up and if I tried keeping the resolution, I could never move the box and yellow arrows to fill up the screen no matter what resolution I picked....  now, on my very first try after installation, 720p worked perfectly, so something happened when re-running a/v wizard..  is there any known bugs with re-running???  I tried for hours and finally gave up...

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 01:36:36 pm »
I've had this problem also.  If you choose DVI you can properly set resolution and size the first time but if you try to re-run the wizard nothing will show on the screen in either DVI or VGA.  I've found that if you load the admin webpage choose media directors on the left then rebuild image for you MD it will properly start from the beginning and you can then run the wizard again.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 02:27:30 pm »
@jeff_rigby..  thanks for that info...  I didn't try that route and was afraid something was totally screwed up...  I'll give that a shot..