Author Topic: Recommend a Remote  (Read 4795 times)

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Recommend a Remote
« on: November 09, 2007, 10:57:47 am »
Hi guys I was just wondering if people could recommend a remote.

I was trying to get the Hauppauge one that connects to my TV card to work but this isn't that good and some buttons dont work.

I know with some fiddling i may be able to get it to work but I dont have that that much spare time at the moment so it would be easier if i could just but one that just works.

I will also need the receiver. How well do the buttons of a windows remote map to the LinuxMCE software?

I would be interested in seeing what other people are using. The fiire remote looks good but is pricey i was thinking a bit cheaper at first.

Matt

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a Remote
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 03:29:42 pm »
For a transmitter/reciever, I use the USB UIRT (google for it.) It is directly plug and play with the rest of the system, and can recognise the MCE remotes out of the box. It also makes an excellent IR blaster to control your AV gear.

I also use a Nokia 770, the touch panel of my Cisco 7970, and my Nokia N70 mobile phone as orbiters for the house.

-Thom

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 03:38:51 pm »
It seems like your best bet for a remote that 'just works' with LMCE is to use the remote designed for it, the Fiire Chief:
http://www.fiire.com/fiire-chief.php

I believe it's the one used in the demo video.  If only it weren't that beautiful Zune shade of brown....

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:03:03 pm »
Yeah, he mentioned he was going to try a simpler remote first... I do have a Fiire Chief as well as my primary TV remote, and it works fantastic. and dimming the lights/etc is very nice with it as well :-D

-Thom

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 05:27:22 pm »
Whoops.  sorry about that.  Posting before coffee never turns out well.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:30:58 pm »
I do agree though, that we need to petition Fiire to get another design for that remote.. god.. color scheme..ughlieh...

I do believe the Fiire chief DOES have too many buttons, 99% of them can go away, we need a simpler remote while retaining the follow me, and AV wizard buttons..

-Thom

shortydigital

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:22:23 pm »
so is there any way to use the " follow me " function with out the Fiire remote. can it be programmed to another remote, say a spare button or is it only available in the high end Fiire remote. my understanding is that even the cheaper 3 button gyro fiire remote can't do the follow me function.

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 06:43:34 pm »
The follow-me feature is bluetooth-dependent.  Unfortunately, most bluetooth devices output a strong signal that makes differentiation between rooms fairly difficult and error-prone.  The fiire's hardware ramps the bluetooth transmit power to make the automatic follow-me work better.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 07:09:38 pm »
you CAN do manual follow me on any orbiter you have... just select the (F) button on the floorplan you wish to have follow... select the destination room, and the media/lights/climate/etc will be transferred to that room.

-Thom