Author Topic: How do you catalog a bunch new DVDs in Sony DVD changer?  (Read 5884 times)

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
How do you catalog a bunch new DVDs in Sony DVD changer?
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:27:51 pm »
I could not get Sony DVD changer working 100% with LMCE. But the same setup works fine with Vista Media Center.

This is what I did.

Vista
====
1. Power up DVD changer
2. Insert 35 DVDs into the changer by pressing "Load" button (in front of the changer) for each of the DVD
3. Hooked to PC using a firewire cable
4. Start the PC as Vista Premium
5. Navigate to DVD Library and manage discs and Vista come up with a prompt saying that it needs to catalog new DVDs and it might take a while and all that. When you click Ok to that message Vista retrieves movie/song information off internet. After about 10 minutes cataloging is completed and you can browse all the 35 DVDs and watch the one you want.

Now I continued this setup in to LMCE
============================

1. Shut down computer
2. Power cycle DVD Changer.
3. Restart the machine in LMCE
4. In LMCE go to Manage Drive for DVD changer
5. LMCE reports that there are 13 discs in the box (there were in fact 35 of them) ==> PROBLEM#1
6. To check if it can read DVD datal I clicked the play button on the top side box in the same screen (which shows the currently loaded title), LMCE complains that it could not play the disc and there may not be any disc present or something like that. ==> PROBLEM#2

I have to load this DVD changer with about 150 DVDs and catalog them so that it can be shared among all the MDs.
What am I doing wrong? Any comments would be appreciated.

TIA
Core/Hybrid: Foxconn N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H (has 2 network ports), ASUS EN6200LE, AMD-X2 4000+, 1GB DDR2-800, 500 GB SATA/300, DVD drive/writer, Sony XL1B3, BTC 9019URF, Gyro Mouse, Gyro Remote, USB-UIRT, MS Win XP Remote, ATI HDTV Wonder, HDHomeRun

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: How do you catalog a bunch new DVDs in Sony DVD changer?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:55:14 pm »
I have seen similar issues cycle power off and on and reload router usally gets rid of cant play message.
I have had my best luck ejecting all media then using the manage drive function select load many,  load your disks then select id all.
Using this procedure It seems to load and ID all disks except the last one. I feel there are a couple of bugs that hopefully will be fixed in the next version.

Good Luck

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 09:16:03 pm »
so strange, I have 3 of those units, one of them is my dedicated ripper.. and it has consistently worked for me...

-Thom

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:07:29 pm »
It seems to load and ID all disks except the last one.
Tim
I have seen a similar issue too. Even after ejecting all the DVDs LMCE still says that there is one in the changer which is already loaded and ready to read. But if you click the play button (in the manage drive screen) it does not play!
Core/Hybrid: Foxconn N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H (has 2 network ports), ASUS EN6200LE, AMD-X2 4000+, 1GB DDR2-800, 500 GB SATA/300, DVD drive/writer, Sony XL1B3, BTC 9019URF, Gyro Mouse, Gyro Remote, USB-UIRT, MS Win XP Remote, ATI HDTV Wonder, HDHomeRun

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 10:11:54 pm »
so strange, I have 3 of those units, one of them is my dedicated ripper.. and it has consistently worked for me...

-Thom

Did you upgrade firmware? (I remember that you told me, in another post, I do not have to upgrade firmware).
This is my second unit. The first one had gone bad and waiting for Sony to fix it.

Can you please explain me (the steps) how would you load, say 50, DVDs in a new changer? TIA

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 02:46:39 am »
from main menu:

* Select Media->Manage Drives
* Select Jukebox to load from Jukeboxes list
* click Load Many button
* Cram 50 discs in

after which, I typically do an ID, to make sure that cover art will be gotten... check the results in the video list, and then go back to manage drives, to select Rip All.

There IS a visual bug where more than 6 discs will show up strange in the data grid. However, all discs will rip and/or play correctly.

-Thom

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 02:59:07 am »
from main menu:

* Select Media->Manage Drives
* Select Jukebox to load from Jukeboxes list
* click Load Many button
* Cram 50 discs in

after which, I typically do an ID, to make sure that cover art will be gotten... check the results in the video list, and then go back to manage drives, to select Rip All.

There IS a visual bug where more than 6 discs will show up strange in the data grid. However, all discs will rip and/or play correctly.

-Thom

Thanks! I will try that tonight...