Author Topic: video files and subtitles  (Read 4517 times)

Scavenger

• View Profile
video files and subtitles
« on: November 08, 2007, 01:17:19 pm »
I have some videos made by me and some movies in .avi and if i try to play them from the DVDplayer the LMCE doesn't recognise the file but if i store them in the HD they are recognized. On top of that i can't access subtitles in any way.......
It's a problem since almost all of the movies are in English and i'm Portuguese, besides most of the media files that i have are in CD or DVD and it is going to take a long time to transfer all to HD's...... :-[ :-[

Thank you
AthlonXP 2600+
MEM 1280 ddr 400
160Gb Seagate ide 7200
MOBO A7N8X NForce 2
NVidia FX 5600
Two DVD Drives (Sony, Samsung)

Scavenger

• View Profile
Re: video files and subtitles
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 01:13:10 am »
Some help anyone???  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
AthlonXP 2600+
MEM 1280 ddr 400
160Gb Seagate ide 7200
MOBO A7N8X NForce 2
NVidia FX 5600

Scavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 01:15:41 pm »
In some post on the forum was said that LMCE does not support separate files for sub, in my case the divx cd's all have a separate .srt file so he will never read the subs. Is this correct?
For the issue of not opening xvid/divx, vcd, svcd directly from the tray i tried to conect another box to the core and the result is the same, a message saying that can't open the media. I tried a reinstall and the result was the same.
About the riped dvd's subs also i can't see them, in the dvd options is always off.
Can somebody give a clue about this? If i try to see the same movies in the kde desktop all works like a charm........

AthlonXP 2600+
MEM 1280 ddr 400
160Gb Seagate ide 7200
MOBO A7N8X NForce 2
NVidia FX 5600

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 01:29:16 pm »
Are you using Xine to play them on the KDE desktop?  I suspect the Xine version (that LMCE is uses) wasn't built with .srt support.  But I could easily be wrong about that.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Scavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 02:15:24 pm »
To see the movies in the kde desktop i've used Kaffeine wich i believe gives the same result as opening the files with the xineUI.
What i think is very strange is how i can see the movies in the kde desktop with sub's and in the LMCE don't.....i can figure out why....i'm starting to try and see the conf files to see if i can get an answer but until now with no aveil.  ???
AthlonXP 2600+
MEM 1280 ddr 400
160Gb Seagate ide 7200
MOBO A7N8X NForce 2
NVidia FX 5600

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 03:27:09 pm »
the Xine_Player is a trimmed down player that accepts DCE commands from the Xine_Plugin. It links and uses the base functionality from xine-lib, and doesn't have support for subtitles.

-Thom

Scavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 01:48:18 am »
Ok, problem solved for the .srt files or other sub files separated from the video file (i have to encode again and embeb the subtitles).
But i'm still confused about the .vob files.... why doesn't LMCE open the sub's?
In my 6 days testing the software, LMCE only opened subtitles in my original DVD's,  (unfortunetly i suffer with two situations: 1º in my country movie DVD's are very expensive so i riped backups to avoid ruin the originals, 2º because i don't have much HD storage, almost all of them are in DVD disc's)  all this to say that it is a giant task to use the rip option from LMCE to be able to enjoy my movies......... :P
With all of that saying i just want to ask if there is any way to enable in LMCE all of the options existing in Mplayer or Xine or if i ask in the "Feature requests & roadmap" for a full suport of sub files might be a chance of doing it (i believe that might not be very easy).
About the other problem....... any ideias of why, at least with me, i can only watch divx/xvid, vcd, svcd from the hard drive??

I am sorry if i'm such a noob and a poor english speaker but i really apreciated some help............sorry :-[ :-[

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 03:45:21 pm by Scavenger »
AthlonXP 2600+
MEM 1280 ddr 400
160Gb Seagate ide 7200
MOBO A7N8X NForce 2
NVidia FX 5600

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 07:56:13 pm »
I'm affraid there is no easy/quick fix at the moment...  But look on the bright side, at least your english will be improving. ;)  (Sorry for the lame joke, your english really isn't that bad, at least I have no trouble with it)  And I'm guessing that LMCE (pluto actually) wasn't really designed to play discs with rips on them.  I'm pretty sure these issues will eventually be adressed in future releases/upgrades.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Scavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 10:02:37 pm »
Hi all  :D

But look on the bright side, at least your english will be improving. Wink 

I agree  ;) we always have to look for the brighter side  ;D

And I'm guessing that LMCE (pluto actually) wasn't really designed to play discs with rips on them.

In my opinion is a great fault..... people when they think of a MC they think on a program that can deal with all, or at least, the majority of media files, not just some files......
But in the average LMCE IS indeed a Great Program and i hope you can continue to develop and achieve a great success  8) (just the part that allows people to save the effort of creating a ladder, build a SCADA, install apache and wap modules, etc is priceless and i hope you all continue with this because your program is the future being transported to now.....congratulations).
So i will continue my experience with LMCE despite all the troubles ;), maybe in a future release the suport that i, and i'm certain, lot's of people need, will, sometime be implemented.
For now all of my doubt's are cleared and i would like to give a special thank you to the user Zaerc that always tried to help this poor noob :-[ :-[ keep up the good work.... ;)
And a big thank you to all that had questions in the past and to all that did the replyes, that's how i manage to get all up and running without being a "pain" to all  ;D  ;D
AthlonXP 2600+
MEM 1280 ddr 400
160Gb Seagate ide 7200
MOBO A7N8X NForce 2
NVidia FX 5600