Author Topic: Video concept not understood - how to see on my computer monitor?(solved)  (Read 3827 times)

needlern32724

• View Profile
I'm a 9 year linux user.
First time mythtv/linuxmce user. Installed via Paul's dvd rcvd in mail. Installed without hitch (4 or 5 times, actually :>) ). I'm trying to run a hybrid box. Trying to get all bugs out before moving it out to my TV room.

Graphics card = nVidia NV43 (GeForce 6600 GT), using dvi out to my Samsung monitor.
2 tuner cards =
 1. Dvico Fusion HDTV 5 Gold Plus, which is seen and setup by linuxmce and mythtv and to which I have my QAM 256 Brighthouse cable connected;

2. Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350 which is not seen by mythtv or by linuxmce, but is correctly seen by the os, as the following is the last line showing with dmesg:
....ivtv0: Initialized Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350, card #0

The dvico card is picked up first in the boot process.

When I've attempted to watch tv mythtv says something to the effect "all devices are being used elsewhere. delete some programs now being recorded." I have nothing going on that I have started. I'm not knowingly recording anything.

Other than the Brighthouse cable I have nothing connedted to either cards.

What must I do/connect to watch tv on my computer monitor?

Any/all help greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Bill
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 08:52:25 pm by needlern32724 »

needlern32724

• View Profile
Re: Video concept not understood - how to see on my computer monitor?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 11:12:18 pm »
Shameless bump!

Is no one watching TV on a computer monitor?

Bill

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 12:47:05 am »
i am sure ive seen other people with this problem. try searching with that error youre getting. did you not find anything? i think some where in the wiki theres setup instructions for the 350. maybe it has a solution for that error in there.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

needlern32724

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 01:25:22 am »
Thanks for the reply teedge77. The PVR 350 is not the basic problem, as I have my cable connection to the Fusion 5 Gold Plus HDTV card. I'm rooting around my house now to see if I have another monitor I could attach (at the same time, acting like a tv) to see if that's what I'm missing.

I'd plug it in to my actual tv, but do not see where there will be any difference from what I'm seeing/not seeing on my computer monitor now.

Bill

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 04:10:04 am »
i dont have any tuner cards yet, so no experience. maybe this will help....seems like a similar problem. sorry if its useless.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2377.0
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 05:04:45 am »
Have you tried running the "MythTV Setup" under "Computing"?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

needlern32724

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 06:25:52 pm »
Thanks Zaerc for yor reply. I had been into MythTv Setup several times. However, today I noticed that mythtv had not picked up either of my tuner cards.

Found a good source of info for my Fusion HDTV card. Compared its dmesg output to my dmesg output and they were identical, so I felt I was properly setup. Then I went through my kernel .config file and noted everything related to both of my tuner cards (the other being the PVR 350). As I went I "modprobed" each of the pertinent modules.

It turns out there were about 7-8 modules not being automatically loaded!! Ran "modules-update". Once loaded I was then able to watch tv on my monitor.

Can't believe I did not check modules weeks ago! Just goes to show that no matter how long you use something (linux in this case) you've got to be methodical in your approach to using it!

Thanks again to teedge77 and Zaerc for their input.

Bill

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 11:56:45 pm »
You're welcome. :) 

I would really appreciate it if you could add what you had to do to get it going to the wiki.  Please see: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Adding_your_own_hardware for tips on how to get started.  And if there's something I can do to help with that, please let me know and I will see what I can do.  It doesn't have to be anything fancy, a list of modules to load for instance would be very helpful.

(There already is one DViCO card in there but it doesn't sound like the same one: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/DViCO_FusionHDTV5-Express, and it doesn't have much useful information)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

needlern32724

• View Profile
Re: Video concept not understood - how to see on my computer monitor?(solved)
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 12:06:49 am »
I'll do that shortly (within a couple of days at the most).

Bill