Author Topic: Good project  (Read 3059 times)

Scavenger

• View Profile
Good project
« on: November 07, 2007, 02:28:53 am »
Hello to all  ;D

In my first post i just wan't to say that i really like the program, i was looking for a good Media Center to install in my family room and a week ago i stumbled upon this project, and i'm glad i did it...........  ;)
I did not, yet, purchased all the hardware i need but in this two day's that i've been testing the software i am very happy with it.
All the hardware for the MC was bought after a look at the forum and the user's experience and, i believe, because of that all thing's run ok  ;D
Now i just want to share my experience with my tests and my expectations with this program, so i will put a brief summary:

The installed hardware worked as expected conected to a Widescreen CRT through component (graphics, sound, etc)... just a small surprise with the DVD Drives because i can only use one.....  ???

ToDo:
Buy the rest of the hardware, TVCard, Remote........ I will probably need some help from you all with this  :-[  :-[ (and my budget is limited...)
Recompile Xine to be able to use all of is features???? Is it possible??
Conect the MC box to my DSLRouter (Is it possible with Wireless conection?)
Conect the MC box to my network (better Samba or NFS?)

For now, to you all, cya from Portugal  8)

AthlonXP 2600+
MEM 1280 ddr 400
160Gb Seagate ide 7200
MOBO A7N8X NForce 2
NVidia FX 5600
Two DVD Drives (Sony, Samsung)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Good project
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 03:33:00 am »
Recompile Xine to be able to use all of is features???? Is it possible??
Conect the MC box to my DSLRouter (Is it possible with Wireless conection?)
Conect the MC box to my network (better Samba or NFS?)

1. Possible but probably not easy, I expect that would probably take a lot of figuring out.
2. Possible but not recomended, your mileage may vary.
3. There are a bunch of possible ways to do that, depending on what you want.

I think it's a known limitation of LMCE to only utilize a single optical (CD or DVD) drive.  You can find some more information on suitable hardware here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Category:Hardware

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 06:04:01 am »
keep in mind you also have support for jukeboxes...and while you can only have one standard optical drive per machine..you CAN have one on each machine, and it will utilise them...AND...you can have multiple jukeboxes.

-Thom

Scavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 01:41:58 am »
Thank you for the replies.

Zaerc:
1. Possible but probably not easy, I expect that would probably take a lot of figuring out.

I was asking that because if i insert some media in the dvddrive i have no subtitles, always OFF with no other option, but if i go to the kde desktop and open the same dvd i have the subtitles  ??? (by the way where do i find info about all the media files suported? Ex.: Mpeg, Ogg, Theora, xvid, etc....).

Zaerc and tschack909:

I think it's a known limitation of LMCE to only utilize a single optical (CD or DVD) drive.  You can find some more information on suitable hardware here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Category:Hardware

keep in mind you also have support for jukeboxes...and while you can only have one standard optical drive per machine..you CAN have one on each machine, and it will utilise them...AND...you can have multiple jukeboxes.

-Thom

Got it ;)

AthlonXP 2600+
MEM 1280 ddr 400
160Gb Seagate ide 7200
MOBO A7N8X NForce 2
NVidia FX 5600
Two DVD Drives (Sony, Samsung)