Author Topic: Install Touchscreen drivers from rpm or deb?  (Read 5200 times)

scrotyballbags

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Install Touchscreen drivers from rpm or deb?
« on: November 07, 2007, 12:54:56 am »
Hi Guys, I am hoping someone can help me.

I have a really old MicroTouch 10.4 touchscreen and wanted to set up Linux MCE for home security purposes.  I need to install the src.rpm, which I converted using alien to a compiled .deb file and have installed what seems successfully.  However the configuration file does not appear to be where it should be and a search does not bring it up, and the touch screen still does not work (it is over the serial port).  I have included the instructions here.

Does anyone have experience of adding their own drivers?

I tried compiling the rpm file as in the drivers instructions, but that spat errors out while it tried.  I appreciate any help, i am new to Linux (played with smoothwall in the past though) but am learning quickly!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Install Touchscreen drivers from rpm or deb?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 01:41:29 am »
If I were you I'd try to get the sources from the .src.rpm and then build them locally on the (kubuntu) machine you'll be using them on.  There is probably a .spec file included which contains instructions that can be used to build the sources manually.  But unfortunately that's going to be pretty tough if you're new to all this.  If you can paste the .spec file in here I might be able to give you at least some assistence.

Looking a bit closer at the file you attached to your post, I'm starting to suspect that the .src.rpm does not include the actual source code, if that's the case I reckon you're out of luck.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

scrotyballbags

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 10:41:23 pm »
Thanks for your offer of help, the files shortcut is here:

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs66SeQcCOrrrrQ-

it does have the spec file you mentioned.

Any help would be a appreciated, seriously! 

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 05:24:13 am »
I really only need to look at the .spec file.  And to be honest I'm not that fond of .rpm files, they are a pain in the ass to unpack iirc and it's not like I'm that bored.

I guess I was more bored then I thought (and I remembered having rpm2cpio around from a long forgotten past, there are probably easier ways nowadays).  Not to mention that it was a good excuse for not doing my laundry ;)

Looks like there are both sources and binaries included, that's usually a pretty bad sign.  :-\

After extracting the rpm:
Code: [Select]
mkdir TWDrvSources
cd TWDrvSources
tar xvf ../TWDrvSources.tgz
cd TwDrvKit
make clean
make all
And that's about as far as I got before running into these errors:
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit modules
cp /tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/common.o.save /tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/common.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.o
In file included from include/asm/uaccess.h:9,
                 from /tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:11:
include/linux/prefetch.h: In function 'prefetch_range':
include/linux/prefetch.h:62: warning: pointer of type 'void *' used in arithmetic
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:12:35: error: linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c: At top level:
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:108: error: expected ')' before string constant
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:112: error: expected ')' before string constant
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:120: error: expected ')' before string constant
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:124: error: expected ')' before string constant
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:128: error: expected ')' before string constant
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c: In function 'TWDrv_enable_interrupt':
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:831: warning: passing argument 2 of 'request_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c: In function 'TWDrv_UsbFillUrb':
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:1813: error: 'SLAB_ATOMIC' undeclared (first use in this function)
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:1813: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:1813: error: for each function it appears in.)
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:1823: warning: passing argument 6 of 'usb_fill_int_urb' from incompatible pointer type
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c: In function 'TWDrv_UsbOnAsyncReadComplete':
/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.c:1920: error: 'SLAB_ATOMIC' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[3]: *** [/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit/TWDriver.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/tmp/TWDrvSources/TwDrvKit] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make: *** [makeit] Error 2

Maybe I'm missing some developer package containing "linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h" (the whole devfs thing went out of style years ago), I'm not that familair with the Kubuntu environment to be honest.  But the included Xfree4.0.3/TWXinput_drv.o doesn't make me very hopeful, as I doubt that'll work with the more current xorg system, then again I could be wrong about that.  Got to love the simple joys of closed source drivers...  >:(

The rest of the instructions would have been (adapted from the .spec file):
install -o root -g root -m 555 TWDrv.ko /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen
cd ../mmtool
make && cp MultiMonitorTool ../bin
cd ../TWCalib
make && cp TwCalib ../bin
cd ..

mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input
install -o root -g root -m444 Xfree4.0.3/TWXinput_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input
mkdir -p /etc/twscreen/TWCalib
install -o root -g root -m555 TWXinputInstall.perl /etc/twscreen
install -o root -g root -m555 install /etc/twscreen
install -o root -g root -m555 daemon/TWDrvStartup /sbin
install -o root -g root -m555 bin/TwCalib /etc/twscreen/TWCalib
install -o root -g root -m555 bin/MultiMonitorTool /etc/twscreen/TWCalib
install -o root -g root -m555 TWDrvStartup ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}/etc/init.d
install -o root -g root -m555 lib/libMultiMonitor.so /lib
install -o root -g root -m555 lib/libTwCaliblib.so /lib
install -o root -g root -m555 lib/libTwGraphics.so /lib

Alas I'm affraid the binary part is just to old and outdated, even if we could get the source part to compile properly.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:10:11 pm by Zaerc »
-- Anonymous

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:06:24 pm »
I got the ELO touchscreen running using the opensource Elographics driver. Check to see if an opensource variant exists for the 3M stuff. Or get an Elo on ebay. They between $80 and $200 depending. . .  I have posted in the past how I did it and I will attempt to add it to the Wiki soon, I promise.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 10:38:30 pm »
Hi,

sorry for popping in with more general (off topic) question. I've bot some cheap touchscreen from Ebay. It was automatically recognized by LMCE (I think EGalax driver was activated) and it works quite ok.

But I don notice one problem - after longer idle time, first few clicks are really inaccurate, but then get better.... Is this known problem ?

It seems that there are several drivers that could work on more devices - is there somekind of recomendation which drivers to try first (are known as good and reliable) ?

I also notice, that even if I press power off on screen, it still reacts - despite the fact that screen is blank... Is this only hardware problem of my device ?

Any other experiences, recomendations for touchscreen devices ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 12:09:28 am »
Some more or less related info: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Innovatek_TM-868

And I found this in the "kernel-help" (2.6.23.1):
  x CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_USB_COMPOSITE:                                       x   
  x                                                                         x   
  x USB Touchscreen driver for:                                             x   
  x - eGalax Touchkit USB (also includes eTurboTouch CT-410/510/700)        x   
  x - PanJit TouchSet USB                                                   x   
  x - 3M MicroTouch USB (EX II series)                                      x   
  x - ITM                                                                   x   
  x - some other eTurboTouch                                                x   
  x - Gunze AHL61                                                           x   
  x - DMC TSC-10/25                                                         x   
  x - IRTOUCHSYSTEMS/UNITOP                                                 x   
  x                                                                         x   
  x Have a look at <http://linux.chapter7.ch/touchkit/> for                 x   
  x a usage description and the required user-space stuff.                  x

That mentions both MicroTouch and eGalax.
-- Anonymous