Author Topic: Wont install  (Read 8042 times)

RoadRunner_UK

• View Profile
Wont install
« on: November 06, 2007, 08:28:28 am »
After seeing the vids on google / youtube I downloaded the 2CD version of LinuxMCE.

Both discs refused to boot, so I downloaded the quick install DVD.

That boots fine, I select the drive I wish to install on and away it goes.
Right up to where it creates the swap file, then it hangs.

I wasn't sure if it was 'busy' doing some background task, but I have now been waiting just over 14hrs for any firther responce, so i think it's fair to say there's something wrong!

Any ideas / advice appreciated.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: Wont install
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:35:41 am »
Hi

The '2 CD install' requires a fresh Kubuntu0704 install, so it's more like a 'three CD install'
Kubuntu704 for 386
Then
LMCE CD1 and CD2

The quickest is the DVD install, but it can be a bit more selective in regards to hardware.
The safest is the 'three CD install'

First insert the Kubuntu0704 (important that it's 0704, as LMCE0710 isn't out yet)
Boot from the Live CD
Install Kubuntu from the desktop icon
input your user and locale
Select 'guided, use the whole disc' if you are going to use this as a LMCE machine (and you allready tried the DVD) this is the easiest (Warning, this option will delete any OS allready on the disc).
After you install Kubuntu you have to reboot
Log on using the user and pass you created
You will get to a desktop that looks like this
screenshots

At this point I usually copy the CD ISOs from my windows machine onto the desktop. (this requires a network connection and a Windows share with the ISOs)
Click the taskbar icon that looks like a computer.
Click the remote places
Click Samba shares, you will now find your Windows workgroup
Select the appropriate computer and share.
Drag the three ISO files onto the desktop, (not absolutely necessary, but is a lot quicker as the machine will have to cache the CDs if you do not have them as ISOs locally)
Kubuntu 7.04 i386, LMCE CD1 and CD2
Insert LMCE CD1 in the disc drive, A popup will ask you what to do.
Select open in new window
rightclick the installLMCE.deb
chose the package option and,
select install package
type your Kubuntu password when asked, and enter.
When the installer is done press enter to close the window.
click the install LMCE icon on the desktop
type your Kubuntu password when asked.

Press next a couple of times, if you have a GeForce card you will be asked to install the Nvidia drivers, press yes.
The machine will reboot if you have chosen to install the Nvidia drivers.
Logo on and click the install LMCE icon again.

(the order of the next few points is taken from recollection and I may have got the order wrong)
You will be asked if you want the machine to be a LMCE by default (I chose that option)
And if you want to or it is legal to install DVD and MP3 decoders so that you can play MP3s and DVDs
You will also be asked about your network settings, if you want to use LMCE as it should the defaults are fine (Warning, you have to disable the DHCP server in your router after install)

You will be asked about the LMCE CDs
click the browse symbol
click on 'files'
click on 'home' 'youruser' 'desktop'
select the LMCE CD1 ISO
Next, do the same for the LMCE CD2 and Kubuntu 704 ISOs

Click next
Your machine will now install LMCE
This can take 1-4 hours depending on hardware.
When the install is completed you are asked to reboot.

On this reboot you will setup the basic settings for LMCE
if you get a black display pressing the buttons 1 trough 5 will select video output.

If everything is ok and you put in settings that work for you LMCE will continue to set up.
After a while a girl (Sara) will tell you how to proceed.

I suggest you also check the Wiki for install tips.

RoadRunner_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 01:11:03 pm »
Hmm...

if the "Quick Install DVD" hangs just 2 mins into the installation, I realy dont fancy downloading 3 more CD's, installing kubuntu myself and then trying to get MCE installed on top of that.

My mistake, I thought "Quick Install DVD" meant a DVD that would install MCE for me, not a 'teaser' DVD which is now only good for stopping my coffee cup from marking my desk.

Shame, because it does look nice, but it's gonna be a Windows MCE licence for me, it may cost money, but at least it works out-of-the-box and will do all the stuff I want it to.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 01:29:11 pm »
Glad to help.
As for downloading three CDs... Did you even read the first sentence?
It's a matter of scanning the download instructions that clearly says you need the Kubuntu 704 live CD in addition to the two LMCE CDs...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:40:22 pm by Hagen »

RoadRunner_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:38:10 pm »
Yes, I read the first and all subsequent lines.

I have already downloaded 2 CD's and a DVD, I have no intention of downloading another CD and trying to install kubuntu myself, only to have to get MCE installed afterwards, taking 4hrs or so.

I will cough up the licence fee and get Windows MCE and have it all up and running in under 45 mins.

I guess the point I am trying to make is this:

The DVD did not install on my PC, it hung before it had finished creating partitions!
If the DVD doesn't work, what hope do I have of getting kubuntu installed?
If I did manage to get kubuntu installed, I dont fancy spending another 4hrs or so getting MCE working.

So, looks good on google video, but in reality, it's too much work for no result.

RoadRunner_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 03:20:08 pm »
It's a matter of scanning the download instructions that clearly says you need the Kubuntu 704 live CD in addition to the two LMCE CDs...
I like your thinking, except the very same wiki also says this:
Quick Install DVD
This installs both Kubuntu and LinuxMCE at the same time in 20 minutes with only 3 keystrokes.
When in fact, the first keystroke was me picking the HDD to install to. There was no second or third because the install DVD just hangs after creating partitions.

It's nice of you to blatantly ignore the fact my "Quick Install DVD" does not work and go on about installing kubuntu myself, but you are missing the point.
If I was knowledgable enough to install kubuntu from scratch and able to install MCE from the 2 discs, do you realy think I'd have gone for the "Quick Install"???

Now, if anyone could shed some light as to why the installer hangs so soon, that would be realy helpfull.
If, however, y'all want to tell me about manual installs of kubuntu please save yourself the time. It's just not going to hapen.

I'll hunt around for other distro's with MCE integrated, failing that, it's off to Micro$oft with my hard earned pennys.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 03:37:21 pm »
Both discs refused to boot, so I downloaded the quick install DVD.
Installing Kubuntu is the 'safest' option, barring that.
Make sure you have a flawless burn on a good quality DVD ROM and you should be set.
Most likely it's the DVD that has the problem and not much else.

Installing Kubuntu does take a few more keystrokes but it's more than doable, even for me, who only started Linux two months ago
(Installing Kubuntu is much easier than installing Windows)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 03:54:59 pm by Hagen »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 04:02:33 pm »
Don't waste your breath Hagen, this person is clearly not interested in putting a little effort into solving his own problems.  Probably just another windowsMCE user with an attitude, looking to save himself a few bucks, definately not worth your time.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 04:06:53 pm »
I like your thinking, except the very same wiki also says this:
Quick Install DVD
This installs both Kubuntu and LinuxMCE at the same time in 20 minutes with only 3 keystrokes.
When in fact, the first keystroke was me picking the HDD to install to. There was no second or third because the install DVD just hangs after creating partitions.

It's nice of you to blatantly ignore the fact my "Quick Install DVD" does not work and go on about installing kubuntu myself, but you are missing the point.
If I was knowledgable enough to install kubuntu from scratch and able to install MCE from the 2 discs, do you realy think I'd have gone for the "Quick Install"???

Now, if anyone could shed some light as to why the installer hangs so soon, that would be realy helpfull.
If, however, y'all want to tell me about manual installs of kubuntu please save yourself the time. It's just not going to hapen.

I'll hunt around for other distro's with MCE integrated, failing that, it's off to Micro$oft with my hard earned pennys.

man, somebody is a wee bit lazy...

I do think that the Kubuntu Install CD needs to be linked with the other two install CDs. This would improve the chances of being able to install from the CD install, if only by the fact that some people don't read the instructions directly above the links...

As for integrated... it is.. the only difference is.. with the CD install, more hardware detection is done, instead of making a few basic assumptions (which is why the Quick Install DVD works as fast as it does...) I would suggest trying it. It's only a few more clicks, and paying attention to the install instructions. It works better for hardware configurations for which the Quick Install DVD does not have direct support for (read, drivers pre-installed for.) ...

please calm down, sir. The software DOES work as advertised, but it is still in a stage where all of us are trying to make it work with a wide variety of hardware.

CHILL.

-Thom

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 04:08:41 pm »
Guess I'll save myself some time then...
 :D

RoadRunner_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 03:33:39 pm »
Don't waste your breath Hagen, this person is clearly not interested in putting a little effort into solving his own problems.  Probably just another windowsMCE user with an attitude, looking to save himself a few bucks, definately not worth your time.

FYI, I am not a "WindowsMCE user with attitude", if I was using WinMCE I wouldn't have posted here. I am trying to save myself money (GBP not bucks) by using Linux instead of Windows..... arn't we all?

All I was posting for was to find out why the quick install DVD didn't work and see if anyone had a similar problem and knew a fix.
I thought that was the whole ethos of linux distro's.

As there doesn't seem to be any quick-fix for the quick-install DVD I am now downloading a kubuntu ISO so I can give it a go.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 03:39:34 pm »
You will find that it's a lot more intuitive and simple than a windows install.
Just click the 'install' button on the desktop and follow the instructions.

I was amazed the first time, my thoughts where 'is that it?', no license keys, no activations, no extra loops to jump trough.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 05:03:45 pm »

FYI, I am not a "WindowsMCE user with attitude", if I was using WinMCE I wouldn't have posted here. I am trying to save myself money (GBP not bucks) by using Linux instead of Windows..... arn't we all?

All I was posting for was to find out why the quick install DVD didn't work and see if anyone had a similar problem and knew a fix.
I thought that was the whole ethos of linux distro's.

As there doesn't seem to be any quick-fix for the quick-install DVD I am now downloading a kubuntu ISO so I can give it a go.

Hi ther...

As another Brit I'd suggest some calm reflection here. All anyone here is trying to do is help you with a problem you have... because you asked for help.

The DVD installer does work... we have used it on more than 25 different Core's and have done way in excess of 100 installs from the very same DVD you have. You may have a bad DVD or you may have another problem... but thats no reason to get angry with anyone here.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

RoadRunner_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 01:18:40 pm »
Firstly, my apologies.
I did not mean to come accross as 'angry' or moody in any way.

I was just frustrated. The DVD hung so early I thought it might be a known issue.

Anyhow, here's what happened next...

I downloaded Kubuntu 7.04 and installed it. (considerably more easy than expected!)
I put the first MCE disc in and got slapped in the face with "RTFM" as I had installed kubuntu for am64
I downloaded the i386 kubuntu cd!!
Got kubuntu installed nice & quick, then put the first mce disc in and did the install.
I was impressed with the ease of instalation!

However, after toying with it for over 9hrs I cannot get it to see my windows fileserver properly, nor can I get it to see my ClarkConnect Linux shares.
I have toyed with internal & external IP address ranges, firewalls, samba etc. but to no avail.
I also cannot use any of the transparent menu features as my graphics card isn't up to it, so I just get the realy plain naff interface.

I am sure MCE is a great platform for a whole load of users out there, but it is simply no good at all for me.
I dont have any remote or infra red devices, nor do I have any of the other equipment that interacts so nicely with it.
All I wanted it for was a simple media centre, to provide access to media already on my internal network.
That is the one thing I cannot get it to do.

*READ THE NEXT BIT CAREFULLY*
I am not going to use LinuxMCE, I am unfortunatly going to go with Micro$oft.
This is not a dig at anyone here or at the software, it is a simple cost-effective solution for me.
I just cant spend hours and hours and hours trying to fix something I know so little about when I have the option of installing the Micro$oft version and having it fully up and running in under an hour.

Whilst trying to get my box working I have trawled these forums over and over & I have found that there are a heck of a lot of very helpfull folk out there spending many hundreds of hours helping people out for no reward.
To these folk, I pass on my most genuine gratitude and thanks.

Lastly,
Please dont post with advice on getting my shares working, I realy am not going to use this distro at all.

Thank you all again for your time ;)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 01:22:21 pm by RoadRunner_UK »

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 01:30:23 pm »
Then you could try 'media portal'
Heaps better than WinMCE, and on the windows platform, and... it's free (atleast used to be)