Author Topic: LinuxMCE operation problems  (Read 2225 times)

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
LinuxMCE operation problems
« on: November 14, 2007, 01:28:07 pm »
Again I've found after multiple installs that the problem is my hardware.  MY DVD drive incorrectly reads at least three files.  I found this after I could not install Kubuntu from what was a working CD.  I did a check of CD (one of the menu options on the install disk) and it reported 3 files that could not be read. 

I burned a new disk and still had three files reported as bad.  When I installed a new drive the installation went perfectly.
 ::)

As a novice with MCE I do not know when the problem is MCE, the hardware or my not understanding how it should work. 

My suggestion; check everything.  Do a checksum of the download and run the CD checker utility before you install.  Confirm every step of the way that you have a clean install disk. (The CD checker will also uncover a problem with your drive.)  :o

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE operation problems
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:39:51 pm »
I have also encountered similar problems from time to time, sometimes a CD burn will fail.
I try to minimize my risks by burning at slow speeds and check the 'proofread CD after burn'.
But sometimes you can still have a problem.

I have also seen problems caused by RAM chips with bit-errors, this manifests itself by random errors, and the errors are usually never the same.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE operation problems
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:51:53 pm »
I had problems with bad RAM too when I got started, luckily there is a memory checker included with Kubuntu.  I burn important stuff on low speed as well, and if it's something vital I let it verify after the burn.  Which I did with the kubuntu installer CD.  I use the LMCE ISOs from the harddrive so I only checked the MD5sums on those.

As jeff_rigby pointed out, in times of trouble you've got to check and double check and it doesn't hurt to check before you get into trouble either.

Another thing that wouldn't hurt is to start out with the basic UI1 untill you're confident with the system and know your way around a bit.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous