Author Topic: The state of my LinuxMCE  (Read 4042 times)

cliff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
The state of my LinuxMCE
« on: November 04, 2007, 09:14:08 pm »
This is the third weekend in a row I worked on this LinuxMCE computer.  $300 in new mobo, processor and memory (my old ones where not blessed as any that would work) and I have given up.  This was my second shot (I've already spent a couple of weeks on an old computer).  I've put LinuxMCE away having decided that I can't make it work with what I know.  I never could get the other computers in my network to accept an ip address from the the mce.  Never could get it to find hundreds of movies on other computers on the network.  I wound up with two networks one that looked like it was coming from the MCE  and another that wouldn't accept the ip addresses from the MCE.  I've always been into AV and the whole idea of getting all the equipment in one rack being acessed by thin clients any where in the house is still a dream.  Maybe it's time for more instructional videos or a single inclusive recipe for building one that works.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: The state of my LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 10:31:20 pm »
Sounds like you had two DHCP servers, the router and the LMCE.

I dare challenge you on the notion that it's your hardware that is the problem as I have tried LMCE on a few computers now, and I have actually only had real trouble with the newer ones. I used a PIV 1.7GHz as a core even, so there has got to be something in your setup that conflicts with running LMCE as intended. And by all accounts that is not LMCEs fault.

Basicly LMCE is happiest as your house-router. When everything runs trough LMCE it usually works as intended. There are ofcourse a few things that can happen, as with any software.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 10:35:14 pm by Hagen »

cliff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:23:56 am »
No, I did not have two DHCP servers.  The Linksys that usually provides that function was disconnected from the network completely, shut down.  I did try installing on three computers previously to this.  All P4's and they all crashed during installation. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 03:34:38 am »
okay, can you be more specific as to what happened?

-Thom

Goat

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 07:59:42 am »
Hi its late now but I tried to install LinuxMCE on my system and I got it working with no issues. I have a Biostar U8668D Socket 478 Motherboard ($47.99),  P4 2.66 Ghz 512 Cache 533 FSB SocN 478 processor ($169.99), 1 Gig memory chip(1), a I/O Magic 4x DVD+/-RW Burner ($109.99), 30 Gig Seagate IDE hard drive ($59.97), PNY GeForce 6200 256MB AGP w/DVI/TV-OUT video card ($69.99), APEX 5 bay MICRO ATX case with 300W PS ($49.00).  I have had the box since 2004 when I built it.  In November of 2006 I added the video card.  The box had been running various Linux OS'es including RH9, Mandrake, etc. I finally installed Xandros 2.0 Open Circulation edition of Linux sometime in 2005 (I think, don't remember exactly) and it has never crashed.  About two weeks ago I decided to give LinuxMCE a try after reading about it on ExtremeTech.  I downloaded a DVD iso and gave it a try.  So far it has been working as advertised.  Mind you I do not have allt he goodies attached to it yet but I have been putting my DVD collection on the hard drives and all seems well.  I get the images from flikr etc.  I do not have a firewire remote and tried to use my Cingular 3125 (HTC Startek) Windows smartphone as an Orbiter with no success as the phone freezes up when I select the Pluto Icon.  So basically I use my Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse unit to control MCE.  So far I love it.  PS:  If someone could point me in the right direction to help me use my cellphone mentioned above with MCE it would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks to all ! and Good Luck with your installation !
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 08:29:06 pm by Goat »

Goat

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 08:33:01 pm »
I updated my previous post with the information.  Sorry I am new to posting and should just have posted new information instead of updating DUH!

Goat

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 08:41:13 pm »
This was a box I built in 2004 as a storage server and I was planning to add more hard drives to it although I never did.  It always ran Linux and I just repurposed it for Linux MCE after running FreeNas (BSD) on it for some time.  I have three towers running WinXP,  a Chilisystems "Chilibox" as my router / firewall / server / WirelessAccessPoint, a brother networked laser printer, two laptops running WinXP.  My two old Gateways and one old Emachine are still under my computer tables just taking up space (former Win98 boxes).

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 09:47:22 pm »
I don't really understand why this old thread is being dragged up.

And if you want to share the experience with your hardware: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Adding_your_own_hardware
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous