Author Topic: bluray and hddvd playback  (Read 34760 times)

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: bluray and hddvd playback
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 10:38:19 pm »
ummm....theres millions of people who use open source stuff that dont know how to contribute, and instead of whining about whining, why dont you help to convince them they could contribute something (other than bitching at them)? anything at this point helps i suppose. also....i guess its just a shot in the dark when you tell people to help with the programming, but they arent always programmers or theyd probably try. you could always mentor people into programming  ;) i am sure its a bit daunting to quite a few who wish they were able to do it. hows it go...sugar...water...vinegar....hmm...idk...im sure youve all heard it anyway. oh...and that other one...fishing...guy....eat dinner...or make his own meal...idk ;)

That is precisely why I directed them to the Feature Request forum, even linking to it so everyone like them can follow them.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 10:43:09 pm »
sorry to keep this one going. but...anyway...
i dont know anything about programming. i really wish i did. id definitely take the time if someone here would help point in a direction that would be good to start, while still being productive. obviously theres plenty of good developers in here. maybe some of you could help point some more of us in a direction so we could learn to be more productive. im still trying to learn linux too and ill just have to manage that on my own. not looking to have my hand held....just advice and experience to lean on.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 10:54:45 pm »
I couldn't care less about all that DRMmed bullshit anyway.  If these dumbass consumers wouldn't buy into this crap over and over again this sort of shite would have been a thing of the past a long time ago.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

desmarch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 11:30:50 pm »
Sorry guys! I did not mean to be rude to anyone. just asking questions and giving opinions. did not intend to be insulted either.
Can't we all calm down and get useful discussion here?

So my simple question is: is there any chance in the foreseeable future that HDDVD/Blu Ray be supported by LMCE? My understanding from this thread is no.
Am I wrong?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 11:43:18 pm »
Sorry guys! I did not mean to be rude to anyone. just asking questions and giving opinions. did not intend to be insulted either.

So my simple question is: is there any chance in the foreseeable future that HDDVD/Blu Ray be supported by LMCE? My understanding from this thread is no.
Am I wrong?
there are some posts in the forum that say there will be HD-DVD/Blu Ray support in 0710 (with the help of mplayer). But i assume it will only work for unencrypted or "cracked" (leaked keys) discs.
You could also connect a HD Player (changer) to lmce and control it via rs232 or ir.
The Via based MD's with special drivers support 1080i with really low power usage. Time will fix underpowered hardware. And that HD stuff is not ready for the prime time. Too few see differences, too many bad hardware (i say only 24p), expensive and bad cabling (look what you pay for 10m hdmi or for active repeaters, switchers, ...), expensive content (35€ for 480p Blu Rays [laugh])..

time will fix..

regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 12:02:43 am »
Too few see differences, too many bad hardware (i say only 24p), expensive and bad cabling (look what you pay for 10m hdmi or for active repeaters, switchers, ...), expensive content (35€ for 480p Blu Rays [laugh])..

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024005&p_id=3963&seq=1&format=2

$25 bucks for 10m of cable isnt so bad. A 480P blu ray? uhh....have you seriously seen one? too few see differences? do you know how many people use the "office xp operating system"?  ;D how many "primetime" people will use repeaters or switchers? the stupidity of the average consumer will astound for millenia to come. that doesnt mean it wont be ready for primetime. primetime is just the people who accept using something they dont understand and are unable to use to its full potential and the rest of us.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 12:20:40 am »
$25 bucks for 10m of cable isnt so bad.
to much for a dumb twisted pair with bad connectors if you ask.. and thats a very good price..
look what they cost at consumer stores..
A 480P blu ray? uhh....have you seriously seen one?
yes, twice (ok, that were old movies, but you get the point)
too few see differences?
most of them even don't get the aspect ratio right
do you know how many people use the "office xp operating system"?  ;D how many "primetime" people will use repeaters or switchers? the stupidity of the average consumer will astound for millenia to come. that doesnt mean it wont be ready for primetime. primetime is just the people who accept using something they dont understand and are unable to use to its full potential and the rest of us.
So im there with PS3, Denon Upscaling DVD, Samsung M86, Marantz SR with built in HDMI switch and progressive conversion, spatz hdmimax repeater (forget purelink), Matrix Monitor S1 HDMI cable, different brands of other cable. Had pink screen, no screen, hdcp issues, drop outs, firmware updates and endless hours debugging.
I'm a geek and i have spoken to some integrators and hifi dealers. This stuff is terribly broken. At least for home installations. Of course it looks great when you hook a ps3 up to the Samsung. But many other situations are really _not consumer friendly_ and therefore that crap is not primetime ready yet.
And when you spend more for the cable and the repeater on a 10m link than for the player device itself, man thats broken. punt.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 01:11:48 am »
Of course it looks great when you hook a ps3 up to the Samsung. But many other situations are really _not consumer friendly_ and therefore that crap is not primetime ready yet.
And when you spend more for the cable and the repeater on a 10m link than for the player device itself, man thats broken. punt.

PS3/Ubuntu/MPlayer (with SPU driver) is $400, including Blu-Ray, HDMI-out (and the cable :)), Gb-e, Bluetooth, WiFi, and USB. Sounds like a perfect Media Director (except the fan is a little loud). In fact, since it's got so little RAM, it sounds like it's not good for anything else but a MD (or Blu-Ray player) unless you like playing games :).

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 01:12:38 am »
eh....the consumers do it to themselves. just like zaerc was saying about drm. they go with whatever theyre fed and greedily accept it. 480P....there shouldve been like 10 movies on there...were they at least as cheap as dvds? ill assume not. ha....funnily enough...my wifes uncle is a home theater installer. we recently went over there for dinner. he had a 50-60 pioneer elite plasma. his wife kept putting on all these "HD" shows...obviously trying to goad everyone into the "oh its so beautiful" applause. the thing is...it wasnt getting an hd signal. my assumption is that its their old tivo. idk....it definitely wasnt hd though. my wife couldnt tell the difference...im still not convinced she can...think she just doesnt want me bitching at her cause she cant tell....at least now she says she can. 25% of america knows that there wont even be analog tv much longer.....some people are in for an awful surprise. like i was saying...youre not the prime time crowd. prime time is the small family that doesnt have a home theater. its ready for primetime. all they want is a picture thats big. not looking for amazing sound or video. brilliant color? dont care...11 channel surround? they dont care. like you said, youre a geek. prime time people dont need installers and integrators and just want to watch the movies they rented from whatever store they stopped at on the way home from grocery shopping. which parts did they say are broken? everyone can find something wrong with everything....everythings always broken to someone. punt?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 01:24:49 am »
which parts did they say are broken? everyone can find something wrong with everything....everythings always broken to someone. punt?
it's broken for not using SDI-HD (SMPTE 292M) but that intel DVI/TDMS crap with CEC and HDCP.
But it's sad that you are probably right with the primetime..

best regards,
Hari

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 01:49:12 am »
well...no one can fault you for being ahead of the game...but im sure theres many others that feel your pain. it certainly is sad about the typical consumer though....
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

blackoper

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 06:56:58 am »
just rip your hddvds and bluray to h264 and store it on a drive array.. That's what I do. For 1080p with high quality sound it works out to about 10GB per disk

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 12:28:49 pm »
Legal ?
It's not legal to crack the key. Just as with DVDs under Linux... That's not legal as well (in most countries), as the Encryption Key of the DVD is cracked when you insert it. That's why the lib is not shipped with most Linux Distributions...
Depends wildly on the country you are in, in Norway making copies for yourself, family and friends is entirely legal, and if the medium is not 'copyable' then there are no restrictions against making a program to crack the copy protection. actual legislation says it's illegal to sell copy protected material, but there has been no 'reaction' against the movie and record industry so far.
The DeCSS case here resulted in a total loss for the American movie industry that sued a young individual for distributing and making a UI for deCSS.

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 02:20:39 pm »
Doesn't look too difficult:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

Though if the disk is encrypted you'll need to rip it first.

Perhaps the solution is to have a HD-DVD rip tool in LMCE and then be able to play these using the media player. Unencrypted disks could be played directly. If you try to play an encrypted disk a message pops up informing you it needs to be ripped first and asks whether you want to go ahead. Once ripping is finished the movie starts playing, or you can choose to start watching immediately if you accept that fast forwarding and chapter access etc will not be possible.

??

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 06:24:44 pm »

Am I wrong?

Yes... in LinuxMCE-0710 there is support for HD in the form of HD-DVD and BlueRay :-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk