Author Topic: Plugins? Customization, look and feel  (Read 2821 times)

bonfire89

• View Profile
Plugins? Customization, look and feel
« on: November 04, 2007, 04:24:41 am »
Hello, I have finally set up linux mce for the first time. It's on an older laptop and don't think I am able to run UI2 and such.. Atleast I don't think I can, it would be nice if I could.

So, at the moment I have the basic interface, is there any possible way I can make it look a bit better?

my bigest complaint is the way the file browser looks. I can't tell the difference between folders and files and the fact that the left half is empty.

I know of a windows media center plugin that will goto amazon.com and find the dvd cover and display it, does something like this exist for linux mce?

Also, I have some folders filled with vob files, is there a way to handle these in a nice way? It was be ideal if it could look at the folder for the title of the movie and just display that versus a folder with vob files that the rest of the family will be clueless as to how to deal with them.

I'm very happy I got it running, but, I could really use some further customization and maybe plugins.

Thanks

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Plugins? Customization, look and feel
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:47:06 am »
Hello, I have finally set up linux mce for the first time. It's on an older laptop and don't think I am able to run UI2 and such.. Atleast I don't think I can, it would be nice if I could.

So, at the moment I have the basic interface, is there any possible way I can make it look a bit better?

my bigest complaint is the way the file browser looks. I can't tell the difference between folders and files and the fact that the left half is empty.

I know of a windows media center plugin that will goto amazon.com and find the dvd cover and display it, does something like this exist for linux mce?

Also, I have some folders filled with vob files, is there a way to handle these in a nice way? It was be ideal if it could look at the folder for the title of the movie and just display that versus a folder with vob files that the rest of the family will be clueless as to how to deal with them.

I'm very happy I got it running, but, I could really use some further customization and maybe plugins.

Thanks

1. Skins can be added.. we currently do not have any others other than Basic at the moment.

2. The File browser is not meant to be used in a traditional manner, you should use the web admin to tag and add attributes to your media to make it more applicable... add titles, set them into genres, and media types so that you can filter them to focus on what you need to see. You should not rely on folders to do so, there are much better ways of using the system.

3. and yes.. It's also in the web admin.. look under Media -> Cover Art. It is worth noting that any DVDs etc that are copied into the system, or any audio CDs copied into the system using the Copy Disc functionality automatically get attributes and cover art added to them.

-Thom

bonfire89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 06:37:24 am »
oh interesting, I will have to give the admin page a closer look.

Thanks (only been running it for a couple hours now)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 06:40:00 am »
also, as for DVD movies, I don't recommend storing VOB files in a folder... Instead, you should deal with DVDs as ISO images... (rename them to .dvd).

-Thom