Author Topic: Can I get an Electronic Programming Guide on LinuxMCE from a DCT6412 III DVR?  (Read 2497 times)

CatastrophicToad

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
I'm thinking about getting a computer and setting up LinuxMCE on it so I can control my cable, audio, DVD, and other media from it.

Does anyone know if when I do that, I will be able to retrieve an EPG like in the demonstration video?  I have a DCT6412 III DVR from Motorola, with Comcast cable.  I've been reading that the USB and Ethernet ports are disabled, but the Firewire ports are still on.  I've also read somewhere that the Firewire might not send an EPG.

If I just connect LinuxMCE via Firewire to the DVR, will it automatically retrieve an EPG (and be able to use it to control the channels)?  Or is there some other device I need?

I'll keep looking, but until I know if I can get the EPG on the computer, I probably won't get a new computer to see if it will work.

CatastrophicToad

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
After searching around some more, I found that it uses XMLTV to retrieve the tv listings from the internet.  How then can it automatically change the channel?

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
You can get the EPG from the Direct schedules service and the USBUIRT can change the channels but you can't easily control the internal DVR's or bring their content navigation into LMCE. Also you won't be able to see or record any "protected" content through the firewire port if you can get it working (many cable operators don't even have them on). There is work on making the integration better for the firewire interface but the cable industry is not helping (to say the least).
One problem is that the UI is different at different cable operators (but mostly the ghastly TVGuide interface) and they don't all work the same so it will be an adventure.

padrino

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
There are a couple of ways it could change the channel.

1. The firewire ports accepts commands to change the channels, the EPG downloaded will match the locality of your box so it will line up.  THis support is built into MythTV

2. You can use an IR blaster to change the channels the same way your remote does.