Author Topic: Can I fix the TV Crashing problem?  (Read 3179 times)

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Can I fix the TV Crashing problem?
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:17:23 pm »
Hi there peeps.

I am one of the people who gets the TV to crash when trying to play it through LinuxMCE. It works fine when run through KDE I can watch TV all day long if I wanted but through LinuxMCE it only gets maybe a minute or two at the most.

My question is this:

Would it be possible for me to try and locate the problem and maybe fix it? Im no computer idiot but im no rocket scientist either. I do write the occasional piece of software every now and again in my line of work.

If someone could give me a quick guide as the where the error logs etc are stored I would be most grateful as I really love this piece of software it is truely a wonderful piece of kit and with later releases I can see it becoming very popular indeed. I just want to try and track the error down and maybe see if there is any reason as to why it happens. It just seems like other people have left it for the moment and not got it to work. I dont know if anyone successfully even watches DVB-T television.

I run a Hauppauge Nova-T tuner card on a P4 3.0ghz with 1gig of ram and a GeforceFX 5200 with 128mb of ram.

Im open to all ideas and would love to help any of the people who work on the project in aiding them to fix this problem.

Kind regards and look forward to hearing from you

Matt

chewi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can I fix the TV Crashing problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 05:39:34 pm »
Hi...

The logs from pluto are stored unter /var/log/pluto and there is also a mytv-log. The log-levels can be set in the launchmanager...

What LinuxMCE uses for TV is MythTV. For the next release 0710 there will be the newer Version of MythTV and daniel is providing some bugfixes for mythtv as well. So it might become a little more stable for 0710...

Regarding DVB-T; I have had dvb-t running on my machine here in Germany. Only had some troubles with the signal-strength and a problem with mythtv continuously switching back and forth between tv-guide and tv. There's also a thread about this somewhere here in the forum.

Regarding the question, if you can help; you sure can... Investigate the bug, try to find the component that malfunctions. Is it a mythtv-problem ? Is it fixed if you try a newer version of standalone mythtv ? The actual coding is not that much work. The real good investigation and well-done documentation of the bug (what is the config, how does it crash, what does work, ... and for Mythtv most important: is it a backend or a frontend problem ?) are worth just as much...

If you want to get into the code though (be it for fun or investigation), have a look at http://svn.charonmedia.org/ for the source-code and /trunk/src/MythPlayer, i think.

Best Regards,

Chewi