Author Topic: What are the minimum requirements for a thin client?  (Read 2993 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
What are the minimum requirements for a thin client?
« on: October 31, 2007, 06:31:55 pm »
Someone is going to be giving me a motherboard with an 800mhz AMD processor and 512megs of PC133 RAM. I was just wondering what the minimum requirements are for a thin client on LMCE. Should I even bother trying to set this up as a MD?

-Dustin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:34:08 pm by fearingsept »
Core: Broken :(

RockHound

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What are the minimum requirements for a thin client?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 08:29:55 pm »
Yes, why not. You don't even need the harddisks since the MDs boot via network. You might want to add a nice nvidia graphics card to be able use the nicer gui. But you can use it right away with the standard gui... Fast network connection is required though.

Kind regards,

Martin

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:10:14 pm »
thanks, I will try it out when and see what happens.
It would be nice to have some actual Minimum requirement statistics as a guideline so we can all know what old hardware we can and cannot use.
Core: Broken :(

toko

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 10:42:55 am »
recently I tried a miniPC2 and miniPC3 from Flepo (DT Research model DT 166 and 168 if I'm not wrong) over a 100Mbit network. MiniPC2 was an AMD Geode 800 and miniPC3 was VIA C7 with 1Ghz Processor.

The VIA C7 one I didn't manage to get booting up to Orbiter - but maybe with special tuning and better know-how it would have been not much of a problem. However the AMD Geode one booted out of the box properly and worked fine so far. The reason why I returned it again was simply that it was too slow for playing a DVD over network from server (I couldn't try TV stream at that time so don't know)

I bought HP 5720 ThinClients then with 1,5G cpu and 512 RAM and they work properly so far