Author Topic: IR receivers  (Read 3501 times)

aussie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
IR receivers
« on: October 31, 2007, 12:40:10 pm »
I am looking to hook my foxtell up to my core, however ive read MythTv's guide to do so. however i wanna set my core up in a closet so it will not be visable to the remote i am trying to find a IR receiver serial port, was just wondering is the IrDA Usb dongle able to the same effect to change channels ectc etc. thanks
dane

bostonnewbie

• View Profile
Re: IR receivers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:09:02 pm »
This is not exactly what you were asking for, but another option would be to use Bluetooth.  If you attach a dongle to the system, you should be able to use a bluetooth device to control it.  There is software for cell phones already and you may be able to find a bluetooth remote.

I'm not sure if this gives you the range you need though....

-Peter

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:28:45 pm »
aussie,

If I understood your question properly - you are trying to use your foxtel set top box hooked up to a TV capture card in your CORE and the CORE will be hidden.

You require an infrared sender (sometimes called IR blaster) which mimics the foxtel remote. These are typically wired IR LEDS that connect to some hardware on your serial port or USB.

No, this is not the same as an IrDA dongle and the dongle will not work.

You can either construct a homebrew serial port device for a few dollars and some soldering OR purchase one of the transeivers that work, such as USB_UIRT.

The IR wires will go to your foxtel box and get positioned directly in front of the infrared receiver so it will be as if you are holding a remote right up to the unit. All this can then be put away in a closet.

HTH
Darren

aussie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 04:27:56 am »
Thanks alot :) much app.
hopefully this is what i have been looking for please correct me if i am wrong?
http://www.irblaster.info/?gclid=CPq_7fqFuY8CFRFSagod2hagcw
hope this helped someone out aswell
thanks for the help
Dane

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »
as an aside, I plug in a Xantech IR emitter as well to the USB UIRT, a double-dongle model.. $14

-Thom

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:12:55 am »
Aussie,

That should do the job,
Darren