ok, i am looking at this from a complete users point of view, not going into any of the background stuff at all.
dvd install... no mods, what it finds is what it gets... burning media to a windows share that it found automatically.
pop the cd in and hit f7, then copy to disk.......
there are a couple of problems.
1. i have only been able to rip using ogg format, if i change it to flac or mp3 on the install menu it fails. (didn't even look for an error log, ie playing dumb user. select the option and it should work right?)
2. when ripping music cd's to ogg format it consistently drops the last song. it rips it and the file is in the directory, but it doesn't apply album information to the track so it doesn't show up on the list for play back when sorting by performer or album. (did 4 cd's in a row and it was consistent and repeatable)
so i have a question. actually 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 but i will try to stick on subject.
Is the goal of this project to be user friendly driven enough that no scripting or knowledge of the os will be required to use it?
should mp3 rip work by default, does anyone know how to fix this, as i would prefer the more portable format for the media?
anyone else have the issue of it dropping the last track, is there a fix? how do i get it?
i have programming knowledge but if the answer to the first question is yes, then i would prefer to better the project by reporting each item i find, as opposed to digging in and trying to fix it just for me. i think this product has MASSIVE potential and would love to see it improve to the point where i can say to anyone: "sure just put the dvd in and go, it's easy and it all works perfectly"
The problem you have hit trying to rip CD's in MP3 format is that the linux mame package is not installed by default by the lmce-0704 installer. I agree this is not ideal or 'friendly'... especially since Web Admin does not reflect this at all!
To fix this open a console session on your Core and type the following;
sudo apt-get update<return>
sudo apt-get install mame <return>
Now go back into Web Admin -> Wizard -> BAsic Info ->Installation and set mp3 and bit rate etc for your rips and then click 'Update' to save those changes. Now you should be able to rip audio in mp3 format
Hope this helps... if not let me know ;-)