Author Topic: LINUXMCE on Mac  (Read 3043 times)

bryce1yar

• First post!
    • View Profile
LINUXMCE on Mac
« on: October 30, 2007, 07:31:49 am »
So here is what I am trying to do...

I have a Mac Pro, with 4 Hard Drives. I have Mac OS X server installed one 1, Windows Vista Installed on 2, and I would LOVE to have this installed on 3. (4 is for storage). But I am having severe issues in regards to it actually booting after the installation. I downloaded the Quick Install DVD image, burned it, and it runs great, it installs, spits the disk back out at me, and restarts when I press Enter.. except the entire drive has gone missing off of my boot menu that I use to switch between Bootable systems. Now when I put the disc back in, and boot from the disc, and select boot from first hard drive, THEN it boots into Kubunku and Linux MCE.. any ideas how to fix this so it recognizes the drive so I can just boot without going through all of the trouble of the disc insertion? I am sure it has something to do with the Bootable Flag (its a SATA, and YES i read the other forum and tried it, but to no avail... did not work), but I just cant seem to fix it.

Thanks in Advance. :-)

-Bryce

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: LINUXMCE on Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 11:11:33 pm »
You need to check with a Mac guru who knows how the boot system for a Mac works. There are some parameters for the boot system that will need to be passed back to get it out of the way. Most using mulitboot systems on PC's use the GRUB loader by default even to get to Windows or Vista. I don't think that will work for a Mac, or at least not without some work. You might also look into VMware.

padrino

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: LINUXMCE on Mac
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 02:49:36 pm »
So here is what I am trying to do...

I have a Mac Pro, with 4 Hard Drives. I have Mac OS X server installed one 1, Windows Vista Installed on 2, and I would LOVE to have this installed on 3. (4 is for storage). But I am having severe issues in regards to it actually booting after the installation. I downloaded the Quick Install DVD image, burned it, and it runs great, it installs, spits the disk back out at me, and restarts when I press Enter.. except the entire drive has gone missing off of my boot menu that I use to switch between Bootable systems. Now when I put the disc back in, and boot from the disc, and select boot from first hard drive, THEN it boots into Kubunku and Linux MCE.. any ideas how to fix this so it recognizes the drive so I can just boot without going through all of the trouble of the disc insertion? I am sure it has something to do with the Bootable Flag (its a SATA, and YES i read the other forum and tried it, but to no avail... did not work), but I just cant seem to fix it.

I am not sure from your post what boot menu you are using but rEFIt should work for you, I use it on an Ubuntu and Gentoo system without any problems and after install it didn't take anything to make it work although I did set the partition to bootable (whichever owns /boot) as part of the install.