Author Topic: GC100 simple setup, control one cable box via IR  (Read 4609 times)

rnmixon

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
GC100 simple setup, control one cable box via IR
« on: October 29, 2007, 05:40:41 am »
I have read and read - both the doc and forums trying to solve this. My use case is very simple: I want to use the GC100 to send IR commands to my Motorola RG2200 cable box. I actually had this working under PlutoHome .44, but had so many other problems I moved to LinuxMCE. Now how to indicate which IR port on the GC100 to use eludes me  >:(

I have used the script hacks to add the GC100 - it appears to be added correctly with an automatically added child device of "Generic Relays". I then use the "Create Child Device" link on the GC100 page to create my cable box, using a Template for the RG2200 that I previously created and added the IR codes to. Of course it gets its "Controlled By" set to the GC100.

The various posts indicate that on the Device Data for the controlled device (my RG2200) one needs to indicate which IR port should be used. I have GC100 with two serial ports and six IR ports. The RG2200 is on IR port number 2. The only port related Device Data appears to be a field labelled FK_Device_Capture_Card_Port. I have tried setting it to  values of 2 and 1:2 (the GC100 configuration page seems to imply the IR Ports are grouped into two sets of three ports).

Anyway nothing works - when I request confirmation it complains like so:
Code: [Select]
Message Sent succesfully.
/usr/pluto/bin/MessageSend localhost -r 0 66 1 210
Response was:
RESP: Delivery failed

Device Qwest Choice TV, # 66
Device Template RG2xxx, device category Cable Boxes manufacturer Motorola.

Can someone please put some screen shots on the wiki that show configuration for a GC100 and controlled device that works successfully?

Or any other help is much appreciated.
Core/hybrid: Antec Fusion case, Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD 64 x2 4400,  1GB RAM, Global Cache GC100, Streamzap remote, ZCU000 ZWave, Hauppage PVR-500 to cable box, HDHomeRun to two HD antenna's in Scottsdale, AZ; Akai PT50DL14 50" DLP, Global Cache

rnmixon

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: GC100 simple setup, control one cable box via IR
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:53:52 pm »
Can someone at least tell me if FK_Device_Capture_Card_Port is the correct device data field to put the IR port number in?

And how do you format the number if it is the 2nd of 6 IR ports?

Thanks.
Core/hybrid: Antec Fusion case, Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD 64 x2 4400,  1GB RAM, Global Cache GC100, Streamzap remote, ZCU000 ZWave, Hauppage PVR-500 to cable box, HDHomeRun to two HD antenna's in Scottsdale, AZ; Akai PT50DL14 50" DLP, Global Cache

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:34:51 pm »
I think the field should be called: Port/Channel Number at least that goes for the other GC100 subdevices, I haven't done anything with the I/R ports yet. the format should be like 1:2 where I think the first number is the "Module" as indicated on the gc100's own web-configuration page.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

rnmixon

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 01:41:59 am »
Zaer, thanks for the response.

Hmm - I  used the Cable Box template to create the template for the Motorola RG2xxx. It did not automatically create the Device Data parameter "Port/Channel Number" ... but "Port/Channel Number" was in the drop down of available parameters, so I added it, then for the actual device I put in a value of: 1:2 - for the 2nd port on the first "module" of three ports.

Still no joy. I can access the GC100 configuration page at 192.168.80.2 - which is where it got configured.

How can I further debug? The examples I see in posts refer to a log file of the location/form of /var/log/pluto/64_gc100.newlog - but I find nothing like that I do find (64 is the device number assigned to my GC100).

What files should I be checking to see if the gc100 process is operating and what's happening with it?

Thanks again - Richard

Still I cannot seem to

rnmixon

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 05:28:38 pm »
BTW, the above did work. I did not come back and post at the time - sorry.

Also, I found it necessary to restart the core in order for the Port/Channel Number attribute to show up.

You must enter the value as "module:port" (without the quotes). See the gc100 API spec for how to count modules on the back of the gc100: http://www.globalcache.com/files/Documentation/API_GC-100.pdf. For example on a gc100-12 the 2nd IR port (of a total of 6) is specified as 4:2 (module 4, port #2); the 6th of six is 5:3 (module 5, port 3).

Hope this helps.

- Richard
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 03:09:00 am by rnmixon »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 08:17:50 am »
Glad to hear you solved it, and thanks for the tips.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous