Author Topic: Hauppage PVR USB2  (Read 3776 times)

cliff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Hauppage PVR USB2
« on: October 25, 2007, 06:03:18 am »
I am trying to use a Hauppage PVR USB2 as a capture device.  MCELinux does not find the device.  Upon further investigation, I realized that the connected light on the Hauppage would light temporarily and then go off during startup of  MCELinux.  I have been using the same Hauppage unit with BeyondTV under WinXP, and it has worked flawlessly and the connected light stays on when attached to the BeyondTV computer.  Any thoughts?  I use the Asus mobo and processor combination that is recommended in LinuxMCE documentation with two gigs of ram and a 300 gig sata drive.. 

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Hauppage PVR USB2
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:26:18 am »
I was having the same issue with the dvico fusion usb card.  You may need to download v4l drivers for Linux. The drivers look like they're available here:

http://linuxtv.org/

chewi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 12:28:05 pm »
What do you mean by "does not find" ? Does it show up on "lsusb" ? What does "dmesg" tell you ? Does the /dev/videoX exist ? Or have you tried to add it in the mytv-setup ? Or have to added it on the pluto-admin ? What have you done so far ?

cliff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 09:29:54 pm »
I was using the video as a guide to install, following the audio-visual instructions of the young lady.  When instructed to connect video capture devices, I connected the Hauppage USB2.  Since they actually showed a photo of the Hauppage during the "connect" portion, I thought no sweat/  The program found and installed my usb-uirt, and media files scattered throughout the network.  My only experience with programing was in Basic about a half century ago.  I don't understand what you are talking about when you talk about  susb, dmesg, pluto-admin, etc.  I'm not looking for a big hassle.  I don't care much for MS media center, too clutsy and too much DRM.  Beyond TV does a nice job, but it's too limited in scope.  What I see in Linux MCE is really what I want.  I want to get all my stuff to any screen in the house easily and have a Smart House without having to be an EE to do it.  But maybe it's not so plug and play.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 09:54:29 pm »
very strange.. i've done several installs of hardware using the PVRUSB2 hardware without a hassle.. it finds the devices within moments after I plug them in.

-Thom

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 11:26:18 pm »
I too have a PVR-USB2 and it installed with out problems on both the MD it was originally installed and then the Core when I moved several months later.

Thanks,
Rob

chewi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 10:49:58 am »
Well, if you're up to some testing, try going through the advanced menu in the onscreen-display->Advanced to the pluto-admin-website (or connect from a different pc to http://your.cores.ip.address/pluto-admin/, select the devicetree (lower left) then the media-station that your pvr is connected to and then select it from a dropdown-menu on the right part of the screen...

Alternatively, if it's only about watching something like a playstation connected to the pvr, go into the mythtv-setup (under advanced as well) and connect the video-in ports to some input-channel there, then it should show up just like any other channel from your tv-provider...

Those are just hints. I have to admit, that i've never tried it myself... ;)

Good luck and keep the rest informed, if it works for you...