Author Topic: Surviellance cameras/ and bt878 card  (Read 4772 times)

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Surviellance cameras/ and bt878 card
« on: October 24, 2007, 07:53:27 pm »
I have been trying to set up my generic motion sensing 30LED IR analog Security cams to no avail.

I need to set up the capture card and I can not find a device template for my brooktree bt878 card.

I know this card is linux compatible. I used it with zoneminder recently.

Is there a template out there that would work with this card?

Regards,
Blair

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Surviellance cameras/ and bt878 card
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 04:57:41 am »
Yes.

I have read both multiple times.

I understand the concept. Just not sure how to find make a device template for the bt878 capture card.

Regards,
Blair

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 01:24:33 am »
You shouldn't need a Device-Template, you can utilise a Motion-Wrapper device as the video interface.

Assuming that your capture card has its drivers loaded you should see /dev/video0 or something close.
Follow the instructions in http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Monitor_surveillance_cameras
for Type 1 cameras.

If you don't have /dev/video0 then you have a driver problem, but bt878 is pretty well supported so you should find how-tos on the net. Start by checking 'lspci' to see if the device is there and then 'dmesg' to see what happened on startup. You  may find that you just need to modprobe the bt878 driver or something like that or it may need an option passed to tell it what card it is.

HTH
Darren

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:09:37 am »
I did the lspci before and knew the card is recognized. It shows up as Brooktree Bt878 card.

I added the interface with motion wrapper and linked it to all my cams. I gave each a port number. (1-4)

Now I get blue screens for all the cams.

The card is off ebay and is a KODICOM 4400 I believe. I remember when I used it with the zoneminder live cd I had to add something to modprobe.d.

Thanks for the help. Blue screens = better than no screens.

Blair

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:07:26 am »
I think that you will definately need to add something to modprobe.d
It looks like the bttv driver does not autodetect the card so you will have to specify the card type. It needs one master and three slaves.

Look here for details - http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Kodicom_4400R

Once you get pictures showing up using xawtv or something similar, I think you will find that your blue screens are replaced with pictures.
Once it is working keep an eye on your disks as motionwrapper by default stores not only the changes but also timelapse movies(frame per minute) for each day and movies for each detected movement so it can consume quite a bit of space.

Anyway, good luck, it looks like you are not far away from getting it working.

regards
Darren