Author Topic: Stability?  (Read 2926 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Stability?
« on: September 01, 2005, 10:24:15 pm »
I have noticed that after leaving my Pluto installation running for several days, it crashes hard.  The pluto admin becomes unavailable and when I try to ssh in, it says I am working with a read-only system.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Stability?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 12:25:57 pm »
That sounds more like a filesystem/hard drive error than a Pluto issue. The only way the root filesystem can get remounted read-only on the fly without user intervention is on error condition. See your /var/log/syslog for info and check your filesystem's integrity.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Stability?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 03:59:14 pm »
Is it possible that Pluto's logging uses up all available hard drive space (I noticed a df -h shows 85% usage on one of my partitions) and thus it goes into read-only?

I can't explain why rebooting clears it all up, though.

Dan

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Stability?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 03:20:00 pm »
I've never heard of the drive become read only when it's full.  It is possible that the logs fill up....  Pluto's logs are pretty big and so are mysql's, and on our stress-test system I've seen the drive fill up before the logs got rotated.  but that never resulted in the drive being mounted read-only.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 06:34:55 pm »
Yep, you were right.  I have a SCSI backplane or drive that's dying on me -- the entire drive goes offline now after running just an hour or so.  I guess this is the kick in the pants I needed to upgrade my server to something better.

Now I just have to figure out what to buy.... and how to convince the wife we need it :-)

LOL.

Thanks,
Dan