OK, latest progress is that once I switched to the second HDMI input on my TV, I saw a vertically stretched out image of the Kubuntu logo, so, after pressing shift I got into the AVWizard somehow. That HDMI mode was never active before, so that's the one good thing LinuxMCE did. And it's of course a new TV as well, so getting to know it also takes some experimenting.
Stiull not working as it should though. 720p is the mode that seems to work, however:
- movies don't play, only a black frame is shown together with sound coming through. The video tests show that there's something wrong there. Will doublecheck the NVidia driver version, but I did envy -t again after installing LinuxMCE.
- Underscan in this mode as some elements of the screen do not show (incomplete buttons) This after I tried to adjust properly.
- When shutting down the TV goes partially out of sync, indicating that maybe frequencies are too high
- I am now going to get into Xorg.config to enter the stuff manually from my TV manual, like horiz /vert frequencies, maybe that will work. At least I am back in control, as it was rather frustrating reinstalling everything again just to be able to log in again.
- There's at least one big mistake in my config: the dimensions for my TV are given as being more than a meter wide, which it isn't. This results in very small fontsize on the logon screen when looking at PC mode.
@totallymaxed: I installed a proper Nvidia driver first, then used LinuxMCE 0704 from the two downloaded images. Beats me why that should upset everything again. Looks like the installer script overwrites everything. Why does AVWizard not run in the current mode (from before LinuxMCE is installed) before upsetting everything by trying to start a videomode which does not work on a rather large percentage of configurations? Why not be able to run AVWizard in PC mode (well I haven't tried it yet, may even work, but as the reboot upsets everything, that's little help)
Another tip for the developers would be to eject the CD from the drive when the second DVD is needed, rather than to depend on the user being able eject it from the drive, would be a plus: during constructiuon of my PC my SATA DVD drive did not work at first, so I connected a PATA DVD player temporarily. Pushing the eject button had no effect for some reason (no h/w error, it works normally). Going to the DVD image button on the desktop and choosing eject only resulted in a "mounted" error message. On the SATA drive, the eject button works.
So, thanks for your answers, I at least back on track. Still need a lot to do, like Xorg, then IR, solving some out of disk space as soon as I rip a DVD, preventing all these messages indicating new shares being found etc. But solving the blank screens that show up on the latest and greatest hw setups is one of LinuxMCE's great challenges IMHO. Having no clue how to get in, but to find that somewhere in a forum is no help either.