Author Topic: LMCE installed, suggested updates to the 2cd install guide  (Read 2091 times)

mungler

• View Profile
LMCE installed, suggested updates to the 2cd install guide
« on: December 21, 2007, 12:30:15 am »
Hello,
After a bumpy start and a few aborted attempts, I have installed LinuxMCE and my core is happy. I have the following suggestions for updates to the install guide, which I am happy to do myself, but I thought I would post them here first before diving into the wiki.

On the end clean kubuntu steps:
Note: Do not update any packages on the new Kubuntu system.  The LinuxMCE installer has it's own update facility and LinuxMCE may not install/function properly if you update packages before (or after) installing LinuxMCE.
This statement re-iterates the warning given in the download instructions which can be missed (as I discovered the hard way)

End of Downloading LinuxMCE section:
For the 2CD install you will need to download:
LinuxMCE_0704_CD1.iso
LinuxMCE_0704_CD2.iso

Installing mce-installer from KDE Menu:
for before the "right click"
If you have burned the iso's to cd's then insert cd1 into your clean kubuntu system. Open the root of the disk and right-click the mce-installer.......

Install LinuxMCE:
if the window does not appear or you are not prompted for an adminitrative password then you will need to run the command with root privaledges. open a terminal window, navigate to /usr/share/mce-installer/ and type sudo ./mce-installer.sh
I could not get the installer to run after using the command line method. This may be due to the privileges inherited from the command line method unpacking the installer but I can't be certain on this.

Network Configuration:
if your network settings are detected and correct. click next and skip to the "Choosing Mirror" section

Choosing Orbiter Interface:
If you selected the core only install you will not see this screen.

Installing Additional Packages:
I did not see this screen, again probably because I selected core only install.

Installing LinuxMCE Discs:
If you have the original iso's stored on your hard drive and they are accessible then you can point to them by selecting the second radio button and browsing to their location. you can do this for all required CD's

If anyone has a better way of phrasing any of the above or feels that I have missed anything important, please let me know and I'll try to incorporate it into the wiki update.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:35:26 am by mungler »

mungler

• View Profile
Re: LMCE installed, suggested updates to the 2cd install guide
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:36:16 am »
Now I embark on the quickstart guide :D