Author Topic: Network Boot error  (Read 5363 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Boot error
« on: September 07, 2005, 11:56:41 am »
I have a Dedicated Core install that works fine ...
I can connect via the browser of a WinXP "Media Director" to the Core and change settings ...
After that i configured a second "Media Director" for network boot that runs until i get the error message:
** Initial config script
nfs: server 192.160.80.1 not responding, still tryining

At the Core log i can see folloing problems:
nfs warning: mount version older than kernel Cannot open Main LOG file "/VAR/LOG/EXIM4/MAINLOG" :Permission denied: EVID=102 EGID=102
Exim: Could not open Panic Log
-->
<--
Atftpd terminating after 300 seconds

Any Ideas??
Many Thx!!
Gizzmo

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Boot error
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 10:54:00 am »
I was the one on your system yesterday. What I found out while on your system:
- The diskless root filesystem is mounted using the UDP version of NFS. I tried to change the initrd to mount it using the TCP version, but although on my system the change worked, on your system it still mounted with UDP. I don't understand why.
- The UDP packets from the MD that cause the NFS client to fail with "server not responding" are bigger than the MTU, thus they're fragmented. The problem on your system is that the last fragment wasn't getting to the Core at all, so the packet reconstruction failed and as a consequence the packets got dropped as invalid.

I left your diskless system with a shell prompt inside the initrd. You can press Control+D to exit it and continue, but chances are you'll get back to "NFS server not responding". You can also type "cat /proc/mounts" to see how the filesystems are mounted. One of the lines is longer and looks like this: "192.168.80.1:/usr/pluto/diskless/192.168.80.3 /mnt nfs rw,v3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,tcp,nolock,addr=192.168.80.1". The bold part is important to be there. Also, now I notice, those rsize and wsize values of 32768 may have something to do with it. All the other filesystems use sizes of 8192.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Boot error
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 07:56:33 pm »
Today i tried to reinstal the core on a different PC ... No luck
Still got the same problem.
Is there any chance, if i download a new ISO, that my problems are solved? Or is it the hardware off both PC's that are causing the problems ... and in particular the second network adapter for the DHCP server and internal network?  :roll:

I'm really anxious to test and play with Pluto  :twisted:
Many thx for the support!
Gizzmo

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Boot error
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 01:47:32 pm »
I'm puting this here for the record.

You told me that the problem was solved by replacing the network card, which was a "3com Etherlink XL PCI 3C900B-TPO 03-0147-000 REV-A" (10 Mbit) with another. It still doesn't make any sense to me, but... glad it works.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Same Problem
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 10:28:13 am »
I am getting the same problem with 192.168.80.1. not responding, it also says mount version older than kernel.  Any ideas?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Boot error
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 01:14:52 pm »
Ah!  I too have this issue with the on board Gigabit Intel Pro network card on the Dell Precision 650.   Can this be fixed?

Anyone in Pluto want to connect into my system to try?