Author Topic: HDTV Capture  (Read 3436 times)

diamondcobra

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
HDTV Capture
« on: October 20, 2007, 11:49:07 pm »
Ok, I have done some searching and I am unable to figure out what I need.  I would love to build my own core, but I keep getting stuck deciding what hardware will work to capture hdtv.  Everyone recomends the Hauppage WinTV cards, but the ones which claim HDTV support are not well documented here.  I am essentially trying to build my own Fiire Engine for less money, but even if I buy theirs I wont choose their capture card add-on because it isnt HD.

I am an HDTV subscriber and my cable company gave me Motorola dual-tuner PVRs for every room.  I want to give these all back except for one which I will connect to the core.  What capture card will allow me to watch live or recorded HDTV from an extender?    I looked at the HDHomeRun, but I am looking for something that will capture from the HDMI-out on my existing cablebox and not something that only works with over-the-air hd or unencrypted coax hdtv channels.

Does anyone know what motherboard is in the Fiire Engine?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.  I am so excited to get this going.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:20:20 am by diamondcobra »

diamondcobra

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: HDTV Capture
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 05:21:17 am »
anyone??

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:32:04 am »
Sorry to disappoint you but there are no HDMI capture solutions that will work. The BlackMagic HDMI card has no Linux support and won't capture HDCP protected content. There are no analog cards that will capture HD either now. Its not because there isn't a market but that "they" don't want you to do it.

Your options are HDHomeRun for unscrambled stuff, analog SD capture for protected content or some other solution.

diamondcobra

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:27:54 pm »
Very disappointing indeed, but I thank you for your response.

"They" are very irritating!

mpap

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 08:54:41 am »
Yep - I am having same issue - I thought http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Products/DVBTpro.aspx (Fusion) may do the trick but there do not appear to be any drivers for MCE Linux - if anyone out there knows of a dual tuner card that supports both HDTV and Analog - let me know please

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 09:28:57 am »
The Fusion cards work fine for ATSC in the US. I don't know about DVB however. And the card's analog in is composite or S no HD analog. It seems the Linux drivers only get you the analog or the digital side of the card. Not both.