Author Topic: Shrink dvd-images on ripping...  (Read 4755 times)

chewi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Shrink dvd-images on ripping...
« on: October 20, 2007, 06:03:34 pm »
I realy enjoy, that the menus and specials and all the audio-tracks are copied during ripping, so that the resulting media is euqal to the original dvd, but the size bothers me...
I would like to see a compression-option, that shrinks the dvd, while stille keeping the menu and all the other stuff...

The program most promising to me is DVD95. I gave it a try with one of my Lord-Of-The-Rings and the result was awesome...

What do you think about that ? Good idea, bad idea ?

What do you think, should the DVD95 be completely visible (eventually allowing to remove certain audio or subtitle tracks; don't know it that's actually working), or should it be incorporated similar to the current silent ripping-option doing a default rip ?

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Shrink dvd-images on ripping...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 07:06:11 pm »
Chewi,

I think, it would be great if we can add a more general way to have files reencoded. By having plugins for encoding specific file types we can add options to reencode video (dvd95, divx, ...), audio (mp3, ogg), pictures (resize, rotate...).

/Chriss

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 09:09:56 pm »
The program most promising to me is DVD95. I gave it a try with one of my Lord-Of-The-Rings and the result was awesome...

I gave DVD95 a go, but can't seem to get it to keep an iso image on my hard driver. As soon as the rip completes, the rip file disappears!
It doesn't help that it is all in french!
How do you keep the iso on completing the rip? Or at least change the interface language?
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

chewi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 11:27:47 am »
I installed it, using the Ubuntu0704-Repos which gave me a (not finished) german localized form...
It does have .po-files for several languages in the source. I don't know if they are compiled into it or anything...
The iso just stay on the hard drive in my version... Sorry, but I don't know what the problem is...

A problem that I see is, that I've contacted the programmer and asked him about a guiless- or console-interactive-version, but he seems to have them very complex together...
But he gave me an entry-point for the functionality in his code and is willing to give his code away to any other gpl-project. If a library comes out of this port, he would even include it into his project...

marv2097

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Reesmarine
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:48:34 pm »
All,

I have had a lot of trouble using the built in DVD ripper on LMCE. I get a lerrors saying either DVDCSS is not install or cannot read disk.  Im confident it is working ok but just some of the DVDs i use screw it up.

So now i use dvd::rip. Its a wrapper written in perl that takes care of everything from ripping thru to a finished avi. It uses a bunch of open souce video tools. Its at:

http://exit1.org/dvdrip/

It rips pretty quick but the transcoding can take a couple of hours depending on CPU etc. It has options for clustering but I havent tried this. Maybe the sequence dvd::rip follows could be integrated into LMCE so that when ripping you can select a couple of options and have LMCE do it in the background.

It supports all the popular compressors DIVX, XVID etc and seems to work well. It also reads many discs that LMCE wont/cant read and also  images that have been compressed with cloneDVD as LMCE doesnt like playing these either. To uses dvd::rip on your existing .dvd files you can mount them using:
Code: [Select]
martin@dcerouter:$ sudo mkdir /iso
martin@dcerouter:$ sudo mount 'Big_Daddy_WS_P&S.dvd' /iso/ -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0

If anyone knows of an easier or faster solution then post away...
Hybrid: Shuttle P4 3Ghz - 1GB DDR RAM - 750 GB PATA HD - Nvida 7300 GT AGP (UI2alpha) - 1 NIC