When I wrote about videolan server, I was referring to the VideoLan Server plugin, that is a part of Pluto. This is also using as a backend the vlc application, and not vls. So basically we have one vlc application running as a stream and synchronisation server, and two or more vlc applications running as clients.
Anyway, the VideoLan will only be used to stream local media. For PVR we'll be using the VDR, that seems more stable in this field.
I'd just aks if mythtv stays available as an option. VDR is only for DVB cards, and that's a problem for many users...
Also I have another question concerning making audio only media player device with VLC (I guess you can answer this one easily since you worked on VLC code) :
- how hard would it be to start more instances of VLC audio only player on single MD - each outputing to different alsa device ?
- is it already possible to use VLC instead of Xine for single client situation ?
- how are more VLC clients synhronized - is this done by default on streaming server or they contain any other methods?
- does streaming server produce single stream or separate streams ?
- can you give some pointer or info what streaming method did you use ?
- if synhronization is done at server level, does this mean that any other media players will synhro too (xine, alsaplayer) ? I'm asking this cause Alsaplayer would be really easy to add as audio only device ...
I'm asking this cause I guess that working on xine audio only player would not be smart, since it's going out of system, or not ?
Thanks in advance,