Author Topic: Java/ J2ME mobile orbiter  (Read 283489 times)

kevkilroy

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Java/ J2ME mobile orbiter
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2008, 10:14:46 am »
Hi guys,

Just downloaded LMCE & very impressed so far - excellent work. However, I'm having trouble connecting my Nokia 6288 on Three (UK).

I've followed the instructions in the thread, replaced the libBDCommon.so in /usr/pluto/lib but the MIDlet just stays on 'waiting for connection'

I can do an sdptool browse & see the Pluto service (on channel 25). & the phone shows that it is paired/connected with dcerouter but it just stays there.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Kev.

p.s. I'm a Java programmer (JEE) so I will be downloading the source code asap & (hopefully) helping out if you still need some. Please reply to this if that is the case.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2008, 03:24:55 pm »
Right now the j2me still needs some work with regards to offline operation (reading the VMC files that the orbiter plugin pushes to the phones etc.), but otherwise, it's relatively complete.

Hari right now has put it to the side, while he works on the improved ZWave driver and getting build servers functional for our next release.

-Thom

kevkilroy

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2008, 04:05:43 pm »
Hi Thom,

Ok np, you can always pm me if you need any Java help.

Do you have any suggestions for helping me to debug why I cannot get past the 'waiting for connection' problem on my Nokia 6288?

Everything seems ok to me, since I can connect to dcerouter & my device shows as paired!

Grrr.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2008, 09:27:33 pm »
Hari?

-Thom

socabomb

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 19, 2008, 03:25:37 am »
hi guys,

I did a little research in regards to javamo compatibility.  I was directed to this page https://developer.sprint.com/view_devices.do?device=79542#, which lists the samsung instinct as have the attributes listed below.  The problem is that I can easily upload jar/jad applications to the phone without error, but when trying to do so with the javmo jar/jad files i get "invalid content" and an error code of 907.  any suggestions would be appreciated.  with this phone you can not transfer the file to the phone via usb cable. any input??? thank you guys in advance 

j2me characteristics:
Java support (Yes/No) Yes
Java Version (list) v3.1 Partial
Sprint J2ME Requirements (v 3.0, 3.1) v3.1 Partial
Sprint Application Management System (AMS) Requirement (v 3.0, 3.1) v3.1 Partial
Audio Codec Support (audio/) audio/midi,audio/mpeg,audio/qcelp,audio/x-wav,audio/acc,audio/amr, wma
Canvas Display size (Height x Width) 240 x 412
Device Classification (Vision/Camera/Multimedia/Business) Multimedia
External LCD Size (Height x Width) No
Full Screen Display size (Height x Width) 240 x 432
Image Capture type (JPEG/BMP/PNG/etc.) JPEG
Input Capabilities (Keypad, Qwerty, Touch Screen) Touch Screen
Java Heap Size (KB) 15 Mbytes
Key press simultaneously (Yes/No) No
Maximum Image Capture Resolution (height x width) 240 x 412
MIDlet can run in background (Yes/No) Yes
MIDP 1.0 / CLDC 1.0 (Yes/No) No
MIDP 2.0 / CLDC 1.1 (Yes/No) Yes
Minimum Image Capture Resolution (height x width) 240 x 320, 96*128 in Java
Protocol Support (http, https, rtsp, etc.) Http, Https, RTSP
Restrictions on JAR size (KB) Unlimited
Runtime Memory (KB) 15 Mbytes (max 5 apps)
Usable Pixel dimensions (w x h) 240 x 432
Video Codec Support (video/) video/x-pmd,video/mp4
Optional supported Java packages
JSR-75 (File Connection) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-75 (PIM) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-82 (Bluetooth) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-118 (required for Vision devices) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-120 (Text Message) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-135 (MultiMedia) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-139 (CLDC) (required for Vision devices) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-177 (Security-Crypto) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-179 (location API) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-184 (3D-graphics) (Yes/No) No
JSR-185 (JTWI) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-205 (WMA 2.0) (Yes/No) No
JSR-211 (Content Handler) (Yes/No) No
JSR-226 (Scalable vector graphics) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-234 (Advanced Mobile Media API) (Yes/No) Yes
JSR-248 (MSA SubSet) (Yes/No) Yes(except JSR 205, JSR184)
JSR-248 (MSA Full Stack) (Yes/No) No
MVM (Multi-tasking Virtual Machine) (Yes/No) TBD
MVM or Single Instance VM: TBD
QJAE (Yes/No) Yes
Qualcomm Location API (Yes/No) Yes
Sprint PCS Java Class Extensions (v1.3, 2.0, 2.1) 2.2
Sprint Device Status API (Yes/No) Yes
Sprint Device External LCD API (Yes/No) Yes
Sprint Media v1.0 Extension (Yes/No) Yes
Sprint Muglet v1.0 Extension (Yes/No) Yes
Sprint System v1.0 Extension (Yes/No) Yes
Sprint System v2.0 Extension (Yes/No) Yes
Sprint System v2.1 Extension (Yes/No) Yes
Sprint Location Extension API (Yes/No) Yes

cadman97

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2008, 08:09:46 pm »
Hari,

Just got a T-mobile G1. Would like to help out with porting it to android. I have some help on my end. Catch me on IRC. Figured it was time to get my feet wet.

Mike

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2008, 05:04:40 pm »
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2008, 06:12:01 pm »
has anyone done any work on getting something on the blackberry?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2008, 06:13:10 pm »
this runs on some 'berries

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2008, 09:27:38 pm »
Runs on the Black Berry 8830 but not very smoothly. I have to hit the ALT button to preform any of the number functions and when I hit C to go back nothing happens. Eventually it locks up. Most of the time I have to power down the phone and back up again to exit the JavaMO
Core: Broken :(

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2008, 09:47:08 pm »
I had the same experience...

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2008, 10:31:35 am »
yeah, this are only minor additions and glitches to fix. I've done all the jsr82 stuff, implemented the needed bits for PlutoVIP in Java, changed Bluetooth_Dongle, ...

sorry guys, but nobody cares to make a simple key translation routine depending on the phone type. Repeated keys also do not work.
WTF does nobody jump on this? It took me 4 weeks (besides a day job) to come up with the proof of concept. I really do not understand why nobody continues my work. I even documented on phone debugging instructions on the Wiki..

Either way, /me goes back hacking Z-Wave

br, Hari

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 26, 2008, 01:53:58 pm »
I did some tweaks to the JavaMO code a few days ago.
* Changed image quality
 It seems that transferring a 100k + image over bluetooth takes too much time. Changing the image quality setting from 100 (png) to 30 radically improved responsiveness. Image size is now below 10k, and usually around 6k.
* Added quite a bit of logging
 Trying to work out the mysterious crashes and malfunctions of the JavaMO on my phone, I added more logging to find out where the problem is.
* Some more exception handling.
 Sometimes the JavaMO just quits on my phone. I suspect that some major unhandled exception causes this. I am trying to add handling and logging to work out this problem.
* Added a explicit exit button to the media list, as my phone had no way of returning from the media list.

Still to do (from a stability perspective):
* Debug the media list
  My phone shows no text for the audio list entries (the last entry has text), while other lists (pictures for instance) shows the texts correctly.
* Debug the connection stuff, to find out what makes the MO crash and/or drop the connection.

I don't feel that I am finished by any means, but if someone is interested in testing this version of the JavaMO, I can put it up for download.
Not sure if it will work on more phones, but the improvement in responsiveness might help a bit, and the extended logging might give us a better idea of what the problem might be.

I can also make a patch for the current SVN tree. Hari, can you comment on how (and when) you would like a patch?

I will continue working on the stability of the mo, and maybe some of the other issues mentioned here if I get the time. The repeated key presses might be the next thing on my list, but my primary goal is making it usable first. (What are the repeated key presses for anyway?)

br,
sambuca

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #223 on: November 26, 2008, 02:03:09 pm »
I did some tweaks to the JavaMO code a few days ago.
cool!

* Changed image quality
 It seems that transferring a 100k + image over bluetooth takes too much time. Changing the image quality setting from 100 (png) to 30 radically improved responsiveness. Image size is now below 10k, and usually around 6k.
Yeah, good point. What stopped me from doing this is that jpg is not mandatory in J2ME. But it should be supported by most devices. On symbian you can change the resolution with the +/- keys, but I simply ran out of keys on the N73.. Maybe a config menu for that would be nice..

* Added quite a bit of logging
 Trying to work out the mysterious crashes and malfunctions of the JavaMO on my phone, I added more logging to find out where the problem is.
* Some more exception handling.
 Sometimes the JavaMO just quits on my phone. I suspect that some major unhandled exception causes this. I am trying to add handling and logging to work out this problem.
Did you see my notes about on device debugging in the wiki? Works pretty fine with the Nokia N/E series..

* Added a explicit exit button to the media list, as my phone had no way of returning from the media list.
great!

I can also make a patch for the current SVN tree. Hari, can you comment on how (and when) you would like a patch?
just send me a diff. When you continue to work on this we'll set up svn access for you.

I will continue working on the stability of the mo, and maybe some of the other issues mentioned here if I get the time. The repeated key presses might be the next thing on my list, but my primary goal is making it usable first. (What are the repeated key presses for anyway?)
you can activate "Follow me" with the repeated key press on the main menu (1 for lights, ...). It shows a big red "F" over the logos when activated.

you rock, best regards,
Hari

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 26, 2008, 02:53:33 pm »
I don't feel that I am finished by any means, but if someone is interested in testing this version of the JavaMO, I can put it up for download.

I would be interested in trying it.
Can you give me a link for download?
Core: Broken :(