General > Developers

Java/ J2ME mobile orbiter

<< < (2/72) > >>

david_a_dawson:
hmm, interesting.  I'd kind of picked up that the symbian orbiters worked that way.  Providing a java clone of the current functionality would seem to be the most logical way forward.

I was wondering though, since java (and as you say, jsr 82)  capable phones range from wizz bang top of the range to quite basic low resolution devices, they might require a very low resolution UI.  Do we know if this is already handled well in the symbian orbiter?

David.

david_a_dawson:
1audio,  I had also wondered about the graphics, and since at least some phones will have low resolution, it might be worth having an option of a mainly text based UI, menus etc, which are very easy to throw together in j2me.

What do we think?

bulek:

--- Quote from: david on October 22, 2007, 11:21:56 am ---1audio,  I had also wondered about the graphics, and since at least some phones will have low resolution, it might be worth having an option of a mainly text based UI, menus etc, which are very easy to throw together in j2me.

What do we think?

--- End quote ---
There is maybe something similar to what you're looking for. Cisco phone is receiveing XML files describing menus - so maybe digging into that would help. It's somekind of customized Orbiter proxy that sends xml files to phone to display GUI and I guess it contains less (or even none) graphics....

In a long term it would be proper solution to have somekind of Text Orbiter proxy, that could deal with less graphic and more text oriented devices...

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.

david_a_dawson:

--- Quote from: bulek on October 22, 2007, 01:24:11 pm ---There is maybe something similar to what you're looking for. Cisco phone is receiveing XML files describing menus - so maybe digging into that would help. It's somekind of customized Orbiter proxy that sends xml files to phone to display GUI and I guess it contains less (or even none) graphics....

In a long term it would be proper solution to have somekind of Text Orbiter proxy, that could deal with less graphic and more text oriented devices...

--- End quote ---

I agree, this sounds like a good model.  A generic xml orbiter proxy seems a useful thing to have, as you could have it used by different remotes with no change to the proxy.

This would also have the advantage of removing or at least reducing the need for regenerating the orbiter, and would make using the device that much more feasible over a gprs link.
I think it will still be preferable to transfer some graphics over the wire, but it may be possible to have a seperate graphics service running to give access to those and let the remote device request them when required.

In fact, taking that concept a bit further, if you had some kind of separate service running to serve up media to the orbiters, such as menu graphics, you could then have the xml orbiter proxy tell the device semantically what to render as an xml file, it could then runtime detect the best way (graphic/ text/ combo), then request the correctly scaled versions of the graphics from the DCE router media service, using these to construct the UI.

Something like this would give us a nice development path, create an xml orbiter proxy, create a j2me app that renders them menus as text; then add nicer graphics features in the future.

Has anyone looked at the cisco orbiter proxy code in detail?  would it be easily adaptable as a generic xml proxy?  I'm not very good at C++, so would anyone like the chance to make a huge contribution to lmce and join me in constructing this?

David.

darrenmason:
David,

I have never looked at the Cisco orbiter stuff, but some comments on using an XML based proxy..
- as a wrapper for either the DCE commands or even for presentation config it would certainly make it easy to deal with from a number of devices
- It still needs to be transported reliably over either TCP or Bluetooth
- The work has already been done to replicate the DCE logic using the BD library, albeit using a prorietary binary format

My suggestion would to have a look at both and see what makes sense.

I am happy to assist where I can. I used to write C++ for a living but havn't done it full time for many years, after switching to Java.

regards
Darren

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Sitemap 
Go to full version