Author Topic: Java/ J2ME mobile orbiter  (Read 283442 times)

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Java/ J2ME mobile orbiter
« Reply #300 on: March 24, 2009, 06:59:06 am »
I have a Blackberry 8330 Curve (Verizon).  I'd like to get involved and and help if I can.  How do I get the files for my LinuxMCE Core/Hybrid and get started.  I also have access to an LG Dare touchscreen phone, if anything is going on for that platform I'd be more that willing to test and report on Mobile Orbiter templates for that phone too.  Any information would be appreciated.

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 24, 2009, 09:54:16 am »
Hi rocketlynx,

To get started with the Java mobile orbiter (using 710), you should get the replacement bluetooth dongle (libBDCommon.so) from http://vt100.at/javamo/, install it on the MD. The JavaMO can be installed on your phone by using the mobile browser and going to http://hob.dyndns.org/javamo/JavaMO.jad.

Please note that there are several things that may prevent you from using the JavaMO. Some phones require the application to be signed to allow it to install/run. Some phones does have bluetooth support, but it is not accessible from java (JSR-82 must be supported). And probably other problems to.

Check out http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/JavaMO for more information, it also has a link to a phone database where you can check if your particular model has the required support.

I haven't got around to finalize the device template yet. But this won't prevent you from testing and using the JavaMO. The template is going to allow a user to select the type of orbiter once a phone is detected by the MD, and have LMCE automatically transfer the JavaMO application to it. I still have to test the actual transferring of the application a bit more.

br,
sambuca

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2009, 10:10:16 am »
I have JavaMO installed on my BlackBerry 8330 (Verizon).  Dongle sees phone and phone sees dongle but phone keeps getting message "Enter numeric passkey for dcerouter-0:"  Where do I find the passkey for the dcerouter or is there another way to pair the bluetooth dongle on the core/hybrid to the javaMO on the Blackberry?  I've look at the bluetooth dongle's logs and all of the setup for the dcerouter but I can not find the passkey in question or any info in the wikis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 24, 2009, 10:24:36 am »
Sound like you are trying to pair the phone with the dongle. Don't think that is necessary. When you start the JavaMO app on your phone, the dongle should connect to it and display the orbiter.

br,
sambuca

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 26, 2009, 05:38:39 am »
Thanks for the help!  Found my mistake.  Works but I can't exit the Orbiter by closing the app because it locks up the whole phone.  It then requires a battery removal and typical full Blackberry reboot.  I found a temporary alternate way by switching apps to Bluetooth setup on the BB Curve and disabling Bluetooth right out from under it.  The loss of Bluetooth connectivity lets the javaMO app shut down without corrupting the the phones OS.  I know it's not perfect and I'm not complaining.  If I can do anything to help and test out the BB Curve (8330 - verizon) used as a Orbiter I'll be glad to do it.

Also, there was no problem using the BB's browser and dowloading the javaMO app and installing it.  It just informed me that it was a third party app and allowed me to say do it and it installed without any problems.

Thanks again,
Charles

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 26, 2009, 08:44:58 am »
Good to know it works, but it must be a pain to shut it down like that. I find it a bit strange that a Java app can bring down the OS like that, it's supposed to be completely separated.

But I have noticed some instances where the JavaMO seems to hang when closing it on my SE also. I think it is because it is busy receiving(or waiting, if bad connection) for data. I will put it on my list and check it out. Maybe it will help on your problem too.

On my phone, I can press the "switch app" button, and select "End app" (or similar) to forcefully close the MO. Maybe there is some similar function on the BB?

Edit:
One other thing: How are the key mappings? If you find that you prefer a different key mapping, you could download hari's keycode jar (see some other post in this thread), and list the keycodes for each key, and what you would like it to do.

br,
sambuca
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:49:23 am by sambuca »

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 28, 2009, 03:33:19 am »
Hello,

I am trying to run sambuca's JavaMO 0.2.0 on a Samsung Omnia i910 running Windows Mobile 6.1 and using an Esmertec 20080912.5.1 VM.

I am getting the error:
the MIDlet could not be instantiated
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

Any tips? Is it a VM issue, and if so, which version of Esmertec's VM has this been confirmed working with?

Thanks!

Jean

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 28, 2009, 11:07:26 pm »
Hi,

It seems some class is not supported in the VM you are using. The MO is made to work with the CLDC 1.1/MIDP2.0. Other than the standard classes, it uses dynamic class loading to check the availability of extra classes (like jsr-82, bluetooth support) before loading them.

I have no experience with the Esmertec VMs, so I cannot shed any more light on it. I did not find any information about the JSR support for this VM either, while doing a short net search...

Anyone else using similar devices?

br,
sambuca

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 29, 2009, 12:38:44 am »
Sambuca,

thanks for the quick reply. I'm running this on windows mobile. There is no java installed by default, so I have to install my own Java VM first.
Thanks to your advice I have now used an IBM MIDP 2.0 Java Emulator 2.3 from here http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/tips/java/IBM%20MIDP%202.0%20Java%20Emulator%20V2.3.CAB instead of Esmertec, and the JavaMO now starts, but dies with "Can't access JSR082". I understand that this is now about bluetooth access and will read the other posts in this thread that talk about this error to learn more.

Can this JavaMO also be used over IP (wlan or data service on the phone), as opposed to bluetooth? If so would there be any way to get past this bluetooth problem if one does not intend to use the MO via bluetooth anyway?

If anyone knows other VMs (in the form of a CAB file) where the JavaMO runs on windows mobile, please share. At least I guess we demonstrated that the JavaMO does not like Esmertec VMs.

Jean

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 07, 2009, 10:08:52 pm »
Hello all,

I did some fixes to JavaMO dealing with closing the application. This relates to properly closing all streams and connections that are used, and waiting for various threads to end before exiting.

This should fix some of the reported problems with exiting the JavaMO. It still is a bit slow to exit when you try to exit when you just went out of range of the dongle. I think this is related to the connection waiting for EOF, which is out of our control. Takes a few seconds to get the EOF, but then the app should exit fine.

br,
sambuca

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 07, 2009, 10:15:43 pm »
maybe if you caused the phone to flip back to its main screen while waiting for the other threads to exit?

-Thom

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 07, 2009, 11:12:08 pm »
Good suggestion. It improves the experience. I don't think it will work on all phones, the phone has to have real multitasking for it to work. But I am pretty sure most new phones have this.

I find it slightly illogical from a user perspective, as it seems that the app has closed, while it still runs for a few seconds. But I think the improvement in this case warrants that.

br,
sambuca

ProfFalken

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2009, 02:15:10 pm »
Does anyone know if the patch for 7.10 needs to be applied to 8.10 as well? I've got an SE K750i with the JAD installed from hob.dyndns.org and although the client fires up without issue, my Hybrid Core isn't seeing the phone.

Do I need to do anything?

It's a generic USB BT Dongle hanging off the back of the server if that makes a difference, and the dongle is recognised by LMCE, I just can't get the JavaMO to work. :o(

Cheers,

XM.

ProfFalken

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2009, 09:00:45 pm »
meh, should have read the logs. 

+Not starting device 43 Bluetooth Dongle - binary "LaunchBluetooth_Dongle.sh" is not found.

Does this need to be logged as a bug against 8.10?

XM.

ProfFalken

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2009, 10:49:22 pm »
evidently not, an aptitude update and aptitude install pluto-bluetooth-dongle followed by a reboot seemed to do the trick!

It's now working, nice work guys!

M.