Author Topic: Java/ J2ME mobile orbiter  (Read 283562 times)

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Java/ J2ME mobile orbiter
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2008, 01:20:08 am »
Skerit,

There is nothing to compile, the link has a compiled jar file and jad in it. you just need to get these to your phone and then also add a mobile orbiter to lmce.

I just let the phone get discovered, told it, it was a s60 phone which sets up the lmce stuff. Sent the jar/jad top the phone via bluetooth and installed it.

The only other change that I've done is change the resolution for the mobile orbiter to match my phone and then regenerate.

My phone is a N73 as well so there is not much use sending pictures.

Regards
Darren

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2008, 10:11:41 am »
My phone is a N73 as well so there is not much use sending pictures.

do you have any issues, wishes, reports, whatever? Did not get much feedback on missing features/bugs/..

best regards,
hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2008, 01:13:04 am »
Hari

Just trying this on my Blackberry - when I try to download the JAD file by browsing the the link in charonmedia on the Blackberry and choosing the download link, it seems to understand that it is something installable ... an application, but after I confirm I want it to install even though it isn't signed, it then comes back with an error:

907 Invalid JAR
HTTP Error 406: Not Acceptable

When I try the same thing with the JAR, it says:

907 Invalid JAR
Application missing
required attribute:
MicroEdition-Profile

I'm assuming this is because you are supposed to use the JAD file and that points to the JAR... but either way, it doesn't seem to like it.... any thoughts? Do the errors make any sense to you?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2008, 02:45:25 am »
Actually, don't worry about it - its a Blackberry/BES thing that I will have to try and work around on my own, nothing to do with the app...

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2008, 10:15:31 am »
I tried installing on my Nokia E70 and it reported invalid JAR file. It also said that installing .jad was not supported. Am I missing something?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2008, 10:25:28 am »
Actually, don't worry about it - its a Blackberry/BES thing that I will have to try and work around on my own, nothing to do with the app...
iirc ddamron used the app that came with the phone to install the application on his blackberry. But i dunno if the blackberry allows accessing bluetooth (jsr082) for unsigned applications.

best regards,
Hari

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2008, 10:30:07 am »
I tried installing on my Nokia E70 and it reported invalid JAR file. It also said that installing .jad was not supported. Am I missing something?
i had to tell my n73 to install unsigned applications. Than I used obexpush to put the jad and the jar on the phone (used the memory card "E:"). After that I selected the jad with the filemanager and pressed "yes" endless times ;)

You may want to try the following: put the jar and the jad on a webserver and change the file reference in the jad to the web url (http://youserver/dir/JavaMO.jar). Then open the jad url with the web browser. Some phones only install MIDP2.0 over the air (ota).

Java signing is a hell and costs a lot of money. Sadly some phones (provider brandings) require it..

hope that helps and best regards,
Hari

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2008, 05:22:28 pm »
Hari.

i had to tell my n73 to install unsigned applications. Than I used obexpush to put the jad and the jar on the phone (used the memory card "E:"). After that I selected the jad with the filemanager and pressed "yes" endless times ;)

You may want to try the following: put the jar and the jad on a webserver and change the file reference in the jad to the web url (http://youserver/dir/JavaMO.jar). Then open the jad url with the web browser. Some phones only install MIDP2.0 over the air (ota).

Java signing is a hell and costs a lot of money. Sadly some phones (provider brandings) require it..

hope that helps and best regards,
Hari

Uploaded the jad (changed MIDlet-Jar-URL as you suggested) to my webserver and then installed it on my Sony Ericsson W810.
W810 does not seem to care if an app is trusted or not.

The app loaded fine. Asked if I allowed a server bluetooth connection.
Unfortunately Iám not at home so I cannot try the app fully, but so far it seem to work. It loaded and is waiting for a bluetooth connection.

I hope my Fiire dongle in th ecore can be to test this functionality.

Hari. Awesome work. I hope it work fine on my phone when I get home later.
Will post here as soon as I have verified how it work.

Do you have any plans to make it work over a gsm/3g connection?
Perhaps it´s hard to implement (I don´t really know since I have abolutely no experience in mobile phone development. Would be great to have), but having an orbiter that can remotely control my lmce from anywere in the world would be really great.

/niz23

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2008, 06:38:13 pm »
Silly me.  :(

Thought that the Fiire remote usb dongle was a bluetooth device, but it seem it is just a 2.4GHz RF communication transceiver.
I know I have read somewhere that Fiire use bluetooth in the remote control. Don't remember where I read it.

Will have to buy a usb bluetooth device tomorrow to test with.

Anyone know if the BD patch is in lmce builds 10th of paril and later?

/niz23

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2008, 06:51:15 pm »
Silly me.  :(

Thought that the Fiire remote usb dongle was a bluetooth device, but it seem it is just a 2.4GHz RF communication transceiver.
I know I have read somewhere that Fiire use bluetooth in the remote control. Don't remember where I read it.

Will have to buy a usb bluetooth device tomorrow to test with.

Anyone know if the BD patch is in lmce builds 10th of paril and later?

/niz23

And it really is a BLuetooth device after all.
Should have checked my dmesg first.

Hari, do you know if it is possible to use Fiire remote (bluetooth) dongle with your JavaMO?

I'm using lmce (amd64) built 10th of april but the JavaMO is not auto detected as suggested previously in this thread.

/niz23

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2008, 06:56:50 pm »
I tried following the directions except downloading from your site directly. The .jad started but the phone then reported invalid .jar file. Its an unlocked Nokia E70 w/ rev 3 firmware if that makes any difference. Other apps seem to load fine.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2008, 07:10:51 pm »
1audio.

I tried following the directions except downloading from your site directly. The .jad started but the phone then reported invalid .jar file. Its an unlocked Nokia E70 w/ rev 3 firmware if that makes any difference. Other apps seem to load fine.

Sent you a private mess with an URL you can try to install from.
The one I used.

Try it.

/niz23

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2008, 12:52:04 am »
Hari,

In terms of feedback, I will try and put some more together for you. So far I just installed it, changed the resolution and tried it out on two media directors.

Had troubles connecting on my lounge MD, but eventually it did. I suspect that this is more a problem with the Bluetooth dongle than the app. The dongle seems to keep installing itself after reload router.

The app seemed to function as I would expect - but I have never actually used the mobile orbiter interface. Did the usual thing like started some media etc. Had a couple of crashes but have not pinpointed the conditions that caused it.

I will try and do a test session tonight and give you better feedback. Are there any test cases you want me to try out in particular?

regards
Darren

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2008, 06:51:25 am »
niz23 was right about the install problem. I followed the link he provided and that worked fine. I'm now stalled getting the phone to pair with LMCE. It finds the bluetooth dongle and LMCE finds the phone but they don't talk. Can I redirect through the wifi connection somehow? (My phone has WiFi and that would be preferable anyway, no automatic followme but the rest would work very well)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2008, 04:19:19 pm »
niz23 was right about the install problem. I followed the link he provided and that worked fine. I'm now stalled getting the phone to pair with LMCE. It finds the bluetooth dongle and LMCE finds the phone but they don't talk. Can I redirect through the wifi connection somehow? (My phone has WiFi and that would be preferable anyway, no automatic followme but the rest would work very well)
BD only supports bluetooth on linux. There is some socket support for development and debugging, but thats windows only and was never ported.

The symbian orbiter simply opens rfcomm channel 19. Specifying a port is not possible with J2ME for security reasons. I had to add a SDP lookup to the Bluetooth_Dongle code. Did you also exchange those files? You can find them compiled in this thread, and the changes are in the pluto trunk.

best regards,
Hari