Author Topic: Project Status?  (Read 3377 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Project Status?
« on: October 18, 2007, 04:51:41 pm »
Wanted to mention that I did recieve my DVD. Thank you, Paul.

I am most curious, what's the current status of the project? What's happening in the immediate future?

-Thom

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Project Status?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 03:51:37 pm »
Since I'm the new "community liaison", I'll try to answer this.

In the immediate future, Paul is getting a 0710 release out with the help of one of the Pluto guys, i.e. they are using one of the Pluto build machines and loading it up with LMCE sources. I'm not sure what the new features will be, but probably mostly just stuff that comes with an updated Ubuntu and a more recent MythTV 0.20-fixes sync.

In the longer term, I've set up a public svn and am working on making the build bootstrap itself without the need for a cadre of build servers with hard coded paths. Paul started doing this for LMCE 1.0, but didn't quite get there. He has been apparently been withdrawing from LMCE longer than I thought initially and I had to convince him to stay involved for 0710 because we're frankly not ready to do a release with the public repo.

I can't speak for Paul, or to what is keeping him away from LMCE. I'll leave that to him to talk about.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 04:36:33 pm »
Thanks for replying, Daniel. I know you and I have had a disagreement on this forum in the past, (it did feel like you were dismissing me, but i digress...) but I do appreciate your help on trying to get this project on its own two feet.

I see a system here that is so far above any other smart home system that I've either used or worked with, and the potential here to make something that makes everyone a bit envious is astronomical... I do hope that the MythTV project doesn't see this project as a threat, but rather as an ally that can help to increase its presence, and to bolster the case of MythTV being a solid piece in a next generation home.

I want to start working on a MAME plugin for LMCE soon, and I hope that I can get a stable build environment working soon.. With this system, I will be able to do a number of things that would be out of this world... Imagine being able to select a game being played in the floorplan, multiplexing it to another TV in the house, and translating joystick events between both TVs transparently? :)

I understand if Paul is burning out... he basically took on everything at once! been there, done that in the commercial world. It sucks HARD.

I did see some interesting features mentioned in the upcoming 0710 release, I hope they're in there... if not, i'm patient. :-)

I did a series of demonstrations to several different groups of people with my complete installation at home... Every single one of them could not believe what they were seeing...

we really do have something here.

-Thom

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 11:12:36 pm »
FYI as to our disagreement about the repository. Chriss pointed me to a great tool called svk, it allows you set up distributed repositories with an svn backend. You could make an svk backup of the svn repository and use it much like you would use git.

I don't think anyone in the MythTV project sees LMCE as a threat. LMCE supplements the weaker points in MythTV's 'mythical home convergence' mission. The only real negative to MythTV is that I'll have a little less time for MythTV, but since getting involved with LMCE I've actually fixed some bugs in MythTV, because they were causing MythTV to crash under LMCE. Which is good for both projects.