Author Topic: DVDCSS and copy protected movies  (Read 4536 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
DVDCSS and copy protected movies
« on: October 17, 2007, 09:29:52 pm »
So I have DVDCSS installed and all my DVD's work after being ripped except one. I was wondering if this could be due to some sort of copy protection on the DVD its self. It plays just fine with the disk in but the rip will not play at all. I get the error about not having DVDCSS not installed. I have confirmed that DVDCSS is installed and don't really know where to go from here. Any thoughts?
Core: Broken :(

jamesm

• View Profile
Re: DVDCSS and copy protected movies
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 11:09:11 am »
I have found the same with a number of my dvd's. It seems to be copy protection related. What I do to get round the problem is use clonedvd to make an iso image of the disc, change the extension from iso to dvd, upload the image to the core and then use the admin interface to add the cover art etc.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 03:15:55 pm »
I have found the same with a number of my dvd's. It seems to be copy protection related. What I do to get round the problem is use clonedvd to make an iso image of the disc, change the extension from iso to dvd, upload the image to the core and then use the admin interface to add the cover art etc.

Where can I find clonedvd?

jamesm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:18:33 pm »
It's a windows app and can be found here http://www.clonedvd.net.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:28:36 pm »
That explains why I can't find it for Linux.
Thanks, I will try it.

marv2097

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Reesmarine
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:56:09 pm »
I also use DVD Decrypter, http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/. Its fast and free but again its on windows...
Hybrid: Shuttle P4 3Ghz - 1GB DDR RAM - 750 GB PATA HD - Nvida 7300 GT AGP (UI2alpha) - 1 NIC

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 06:24:23 pm »
That explains why I can't find it for Linux.
Thanks, I will try it.

You might take a look at Dvd::Rip...  It does well for me, on Ubuntu Feisty (used automatix2 to install it, if it matters)...  I'm not sure, however, if it uses the newest crypto schemes, so it might not work on the newer or better encryption...

If it works, you'd simply have to copy it to your core, change extension and such, as stated by jamesm.