Author Topic: Questions around my LinuxMCE network  (Read 4961 times)

zicoz

• View Profile
Questions around my LinuxMCE network
« on: October 15, 2007, 01:37:54 am »
Ok, I'm considering setting up a LinuxMCE "network at home, and I have some quick question, some are conserning Linux MCE, others are about LinuxMCU in the network. The questions will be numbered.

Let's start at the beginning, I plan to have a network that looks like this:

The router is going to be a computer running one of the following, Clarkconnect, Monowall, IPCop, Astaro, SMEserver, PFsense or Smoothwall

And as you see I want to split the network in two different zones (using 3 NICs in the router, one for internet in, and then the one for each zone), one for the LinuxMCE-network including one core, and to begin with 2 Media Directors, an the other zone for gaming and work computers.

1. If I understand it correctly I will have to put a static IP on the core from the router, and then enable DHCP on the core for the MDs, correct? And wil this setup give internet on the HTPCs?

2. Today I'm using a Windows Home Server as the medialibrary, what is the best way to make the movies that I have on this server available for the LMCE, I love the accessability over the net trough WHS's Livenode system, can I use a WHS-box as fileserver for the movies? Can LMCE read the content of it?

2.5 When using the "copy DVD" function, is it possible to set the fileserver as the destination? Is this a hard thing to do?

3. How big a harddrive will I need in the MDs when using network-boot?

Now on to the TV and remote controll part.

4. Anyone know if the norwegian digital-ground-TV-(riks-TV) system will work witn LMCE, the same way the system on the demo-video works? And are there any supported TV-cards that have a better input for this then composite?

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Questions around my LinuxMCE network
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 01:54:19 am »
1. it will if you have the correct gateway for your firewall (astaro, smoothwall..whatever you end up with) and dns ips set in. you would probably want to disable the linuxmce firewall too.

3. its a network boot....it doesnt require a hard drive at all.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

zicoz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:30:16 am »
ok, sounds good, anyone know if the fileserver wil work out?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 11:00:44 am »
And as you see I want to split the network in two different zones (using 3 NICs in the router, one for internet in, and then the one for each zone), one for the LinuxMCE-network including one core, and to begin with 2 Media Directors, an the other zone for gaming and work computers.
Why do you want two networks, LMCE can deal with both of them and you get a much better integration, also to the WHS you mention further down. at the very least you can connect the LMCE box directly to the switch in the 'gaming' network, making one NIC surplus.

1. If I understand it correctly I will have to put a static IP on the core from the router, and then enable DHCP on the core for the MDs, correct? And will this setup give internet on the HTPCs?
Yes, you will have internet on the MDs

2. Today I'm using a Windows Home Server as the medialibrary, what is the best way to make the movies that I have on this server available for the LMCE, I love the accessability over the net trough WHS's Livenode system, can I use a WHS-box as fileserver for the movies? Can LMCE read the content of it?
Yes, if it is on the LMCE DHCP network, but... there are two options on LMCE. 'make all content public' or 'use LMCE folder structure'.
You can also apply these options to seperate shared folders on the WHS (this to avoid LMCE scanning trough Gigabytes of documents and other non-media content)
And putting the WHS on the  LMCE network makes it hard to reach from your other machines...

2.5 When using the "copy DVD" function, is it possible to set the fileserver as the destination? Is this a hard thing to do?
Yes, but the fileserver needs to be in the LMCE network.
Is there any particular reason the LMCE box can not be the router in your set up?
It will distinguish regular PCs from MDs, you can assign IP ranges to "non media" equipment.
Port forwarding ++++

3. How big a harddrive will I need in the MDs when using network-boot?
You do not need any hard drive at all, but the charm is that you can boot the MDs into any OS you want locally if you do have a HDD in them. optional.

4. Anyone know if the norwegian digital-ground-TV-(riks-TV) system will work witn LMCE, the same way the system on the demo-video works? And are there any supported TV-cards that have a better input for this then composite?
Ja, det vil virke. You should use Hauppage DVB-T cards, preferably dual inputs, you can actually get several channels on both the inputs as the signals are 'bundled', Myth-TV doesn't support debundling though, so LMCE will have a PVE option available (when someone makes it work stably enough)

Hilsninger fra Kongsberg

zicoz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 04:51:17 pm »
Thank you for many good answers, the main reason why I want to split the network in two is to keep the HTPC-network safe from any errors that may occur on the data network, I also want to take down any part of the LMCE-network including the Core and still be able to use the computer-network without replugging wires, and vice-versa I want to be able to taking down the router without it affecting the LMCE-network in other ways then that it looses it's internet-connection.

But I also want to have the two networks seperated to make sure that I have enough bandwith for streaming HD-material, at the moment there are only two HTPCs, but if I get it all to work as I want to there might pop up atleast 2 more. And If I get a virus or Trojan on my computer-network that nerfs my bandwith I don't want that to affect playback on the LMCE-network.

I've also learned that it's safest to run as few things as possible on the router/firewall box because the more you have on it, the bigger is the chance for security holes.