Author Topic: nVidia 7300GT PCI E Graphics Card UI2 + Alpha Blending  (Read 2237 times)

drewlsvern

• First post!
    • View Profile
nVidia 7300GT PCI E Graphics Card UI2 + Alpha Blending
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:02:48 pm »
So I've recently set up a Linux MCE box, trying to get things underway and configured. Here is my current setup

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ BE
4GB OCZ Reaper Edition
Asus M3A78-EM
nVidia 7300GT PCI E Graphics Card
And lots of sata hard drives...haha

Using 0710 Install DVD
I've tried just the I386 and the x64 Installs

So the main problem is I can't seem to get Alpha blending working 100%...it seems as though it's flaky.  I've read about trying to disable all vsync options..done that.  Doesn't really seem to help a whole lot.  My Library of media is usually cut off with Alpha blending.  Just curious if this card is fully supported (7300GT)or if I bought a nVidia 6200 or something in the 6xxx series if that would be more reasonable as I've read that the older cards are supported better.

Thanks!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: nVidia 7300GT PCI E Graphics Card UI2 + Alpha Blending
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:35:58 pm »
You didn't really say what was wrong, but I'll assume it was horizontal tearing... basically you will always get this no matter what chipset you use. It comes down to how much you are prepared to tollerate vs the facility you get from the alpha blending. Most people, I believe, decide that picture stability is more important and go with UI2 Overlay instead. It isn't a performance thing, it seems to be a driver issue - but has been there for a long time through many different versions of the driver, so don't hold your breath that nVidia will be doing anything about it soon...